Help just put the wrong type of motor oil in my wife's car

Just finished changing the oil in my wife’s car. When cleaning up i’ve realized that i used 10 w 30 Motor oil

her car is a 2005 toyota salara i should have used 5 w 30 motor oil as i always have in the past. luckily i have not driven car just started to circulate the oil to get to the proper level. Should i drain the oil pencil with 5 w 30

4 willoughby okay with 10 w 30 in a 4 week or 2 ???

Unless the temperature in your neighborhood gets below 0 Fahrenheit there is no problem.

Thanks rod
i failed to mention that in addition to the 10 w 30 oil i also added 1 container that’s 32 fluid ounces of l u c a s heavy duty oil stabilizer. I always use lucas oil treatment because the car has 101,000 miles
should this cause any problems ?? i sure hope it does it cuz i really do not want to go back out into the hot garage and change a second time in 1 dayw

Still no problem. But I would never recommend an oil stabilizer based on mileage. In fact I would recommend against it unless there is a drop in oil pressure.

We have a 2003 Toyota 4Runner that calles for 5W-30 oil, although it claims that !0W-30 may be used with the provision that one puts in 5W-30 at the nezt oil change. A Toyota dealer did put in 10W-30 and nothing disaster happened. I took it somewhere else for the next oil change. This was in the summer, so I figured that there would be no problem. My independent shop put 5W-20 in the car instead of 5W-30. Nothing bad happened. This was in the winter, so I figured all would be o.k. until the next oil change.
In the Chevrolet Uplander that I own, the manual calls for 5W-30. An independent tire shop that also does oil changes put in 10W-30. The engine didn’t blow up.
I think your Solara will be o.k. with 10W-30 until the next oil change.

Thanks so much for your help rod
with the sun hitting the side of the garage the temperature has to be at least 100 degrees in there!!! I’m not the handiest guy in the world but changing oil is always been something that i enjoy doing
everyone i’ve ever spoke to as always thought that the lucas oil product was good to use
just for educational purposes, why would you never use an oil stabilizer unless you too low pressure??? Don’t get me wrong this is not a commercial or advertisement for lucas oil products. But if i conceived 11 bucks for each coil change i sure will

Oil stabilizers increase the viscosity of oil. In other words, a blend of Lucas and 5-30 will be something heavier, 8-35, or 7-42 for instance. The much lighter weights(near the consistency of water) are recommended to match the close tolerances of todays engines. At temperatures below freezing the light oils becomes somewhat more critical as temperatures fall to zero and below engine damage can result. Locally I have seen weather near zero prevent cars from starting with 10-40 in the crankcase and rebuilt one engine that was trashed when driven with 20-50 oil and stabilizer in such weather.

I would stop using the Lucas altogether and change the oil again using 5/30 sometime before winter sets in - unless you’re in the south and don’t really get winter to speak of. Then I’d just change it the next time it is due. Ad Rod Knox noted, if the temps stay reasonably warm your car will likely not know the difference.

101,000 miles on a toyota engine is nothin’. Engine oils (yes, even regular old conventional dino oils) do a great job on their own. I highly recommend against adding stuff to your oil. If it gets real cold where you live, I would advise putting 5W-30 in before January, but for now, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

I live south of the snow zone, often in Mexico. I read all the explanations on why my 2002 Sienna is recommended for 5W-30, and since it experiences 100+ a lot, and freezing temps seldom if ever, I have used 10W-30 for all 168,000 miles. Lab testing last year showed motor in great shape, no excess wear at all.

So, do not expect any serious problems if you use it till next change cycle, unless you expect very cold weather. Even then, it will be only a slightly reduced life expectancy that you will never notice.

Good job, though, for caring. That attitude helps your car a lot.

l u c a s heavy duty oil stabilizer.

I would not use it myself. It was a good product back in the '70s. but cars & oil have changed. Considering where you live it should not cause any problems other than maybe a very minor reduction in mileage, but it is best to stick with the recommendations in the owner’s manual.

[b] If it was a great idea, it would be indicated in the owner's manual.[/b]

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Especially when fixing it can break it.”

The oil you’re using was formulated with the assumption that you won’t be adding anything else to it. Adding stuff to oil when it’s not necessary can accelerate engine wear, which then makes the additives necessary. In your specific case, oil has antifoamants added to it to prevent it from foaming. When you add the oil stabilizer (which is just pure petroleum), you’re changing the ratio of petroleum to antifoamants, which means there is no longer enough antifoamant to keep the oil from foaming. That means that under the right conditions you’ll now get air in your oil, which is not good for lubrication. That will accelerate engine wear, which will then require you to use thickening oil additives to stop the leaks that you just caused.