2007 Honda Fit - Tire Wear/Alignment Issues

My car has about 56,000 miles, and I’ve just been told that I should replace all four tires, as they are wearing unevenly. This will be the 3rd time I will have replaced my tires. I’ve had the same problem each time - uneven wearing. I’ve had the alignment fixed each time, but it continues to get messed up. Is there something I can do to prevent it?

If the same people are using the same equipment to do the alignments, front and rear I assume, then it is possible that their equipment or techniques are defective. Tire rotation as per the owner’s manual is important. Hitting curbs too hard when parking is not good. Correct tire inflation pressure with a known accurate gauge is also important.

As Wha Who said, regular rotation is extremely important. Driving aggressively can cause your tires to wear poorly and unevenly. If you drive on very rough or gravel roads your alignment can be thrown off faster than normal. Three times in 56k miles is extreme. Describe the nature of the tire wear.

Exactly how are they wearing? Inner or outer edges? Both? Wearing on both front and rear?
Cupping, featheredged, or what?

Define the part about alignment fixed each time but it continues to get messed up. An '07 with only 56k miles should little if any suspension wear unless the car has been wrecked, been in a flood, sees a lot of rough or dirt roads, etc.
Are you saying the alignment is off when compared to the alignment from before?

Has This Car Ever “Pulled” Or “Drifted” While Driving Or Does It Seem To Track Straight ? Honda Has An Eight Page Bulletin To Diagnose Pulling Or Drifting.

Has the same shop set the alignment each time ?

Has the alignment been only a front alignment each time ?

Talk to us.

CSA

Without all of the details, my suggestions are checking your tire inflation more often, setting to the correct pressure; stop hitting potholes.

There is another possible factor involved in this very rapid tire wear, and that has to do with the actual size of the tire. If this is a Sport model, it came with either 55-series or 45-series high-performance tires–and that never bodes well for long tread life.

For instance, the OE tires on the 2007 Fit Sport model were Dunlops with a wear rating of somewhere around 300. That type of wear rating will give you…maybe…22,000 miles of wear IF the alignment and inflation pressures are both optimum, and if the tires were rotated on schedule. Throw some underinflation and/or bad alignment and/or lack of rotation into the mix and…voila…you wind up with perhaps only 15k on high-performance tires.

If this is a Sport model, and if the tires were replaced both times with the same type of high-performance tires with a really low wear rating–and if the car’s alignment has been “off” for long periods of time, then it is entirely conceivable that someone could go through 3 sets of tires in 56k.

Also, the calibration of the alignment equipment of a service facility, as well as the competence of the person using the equipment has a lot to do with the outcome of the alignment. It is entirely possible to pay for wheel alignment and not get what you paid for.

So–in order to know whether my theory holds any validity, can the OP please tell us:

Is this a “Sport” model?
How often do you check your tire pressure?
What brands/models/sizes of tires have been used on the car?
What is the wear rating that is listed on the sidewall of the current tires?
Have the tires been rotated as specified in the Honda maintenance schedule?
Has the same service facility performed the wheel alignment on each occasion?

It on the inner edges usually worse on the rear tires. I get my tires rotated regularly. I also drive up and down windy mountain roads everyday. The roads aren’t really rough or gravelly, just very windy. Can than have an effect on the wear?

The tires are wearing on the inner edges, both front and rear, but more so on the rear. The first time I had to replace my tires, the wear was due to the alignment. The dealer adjusted the alignment. I went back three months later to because the tires were starting to wear again and they had to adjust the alignment again. Eight months later I had to replace the tires again due to wearing on the inside, but the alignment seemed to be okay. Now it’s been 10 months and my tires are again wearing on the inside and the alignment appears to be off.

No the first time I needed the alignment adjusted, the dealer did it. I had to go back three months later to have it adjusted again. Since then my mechanic has been the one to set the alignment and I wasn’t having any issues until now. To my knowledge, it’s been both front and rear.

No, this is not a Sport model - it’s the basic Fit.
I admit I don’t check my tire pressure regularly. Based on everyone’s comments, it seems I should definitely add that to my To Do list!!
I don’t know what the original tires or the second set of tires were, but the last set were Sumitomo Touring LS-T 175/65R14.
According to what I’ve found online, the Sumitomo Touring LS-T tires have a wear rating of 640.
Yes, the tires have been rotated as specified by the Honda maintenance schedule.
No, the first time it was the dealer and since then it’s been my mechanic.

Wear on the inside edges of the tires points to too much negative camber or too much toe-out. Underinflation will normally scrub off the tire on both edges although this could be offset some by a camber or toe problem.

Did you get a printout of the alignment specs? If so, look at the camber and toe readings and note if they have a little (-) sign in front those readings.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone with the tire issue. I also have a 2007 Fit, just passed 81,000 miles and I am on my 4th…that’s right…4th, set of tires. The first year, I hardly drove it because I still had my old car. To my surprise, it wouldn’t pass state inspection when the time came because the tread was worn on the inside of the tires. I have had alignments done both at the dealership, and at Firestone—they offer lifetime alignments so I saved myself money by investing in the lifetime alignment. Each time I take it to the dealership, I ask if they know of any other Fit owners having issues with tire wear and I am told there are no known issues. If and when you are able to find a solution, PLEASE let me know, and I will do the same.

I have a 2007 basic model Fit and have had similar tire issues, particularly on the front driver side, which wears more than the others. I have been attentive to tire pressure, and every time I’ve had others check it, it’s been okay. I’ve used Firestone and Goodyear tires. The wear is even on the tire, so…I’m at 79,000 and was thinking that I was replacing tires quite frequently. I’m so glad that it’s NOT JUST ME! I am usually the only person in the car; would that be a factor? And no, I’m not excessively heavy!

There is a problem with the rear toe-in on my wife’s 2008 Honda Fit. She had a wheel alignment done recently and the real toe-in on both rears were way out of the specs. I was told by the Honda mechanic that there is not adjustment they can do on the rear wheels. He said that my wife’s Fit toe-in is really bad and that is why her tires wore out at 15,000 miles. The car has never been in a accident.

The Honda mechanic said to look online for a shim to fix the problem. I believe this is something that Honda should fix. It basicly came from the factory that way.

I have the 2007 sport model with 65K miles and have horrible wear problems. The tires I have on it now are rated at 60K miles and are totally shot at 40K. All four have extreme wear on the inside edges. Putting tires on this car that have to special ordered is ridiculous and expensive. This is really recall material.

We have been having the same problems since it reached passed 40,000 miles. I replaced 4 tires for the first time @ 41,000 miles. Then, @ 52,000, we were told toe alignment was out on both front corners, which caused premature tire wear. So only after 11,000 miles, we had to have 4 tire replacement and 4 wheel alignment. Then, @ 57,000, we were told front toe was out, and 2 front tires were completely worn out. So after 5,000 miles, we had to have 2 front tire replacement and 4 wheel alignment. Then, @ 59,000, alignment is off again so they performed 4 wheel alignment. Then, @62,000, we discovered that front tires were wearing out strange (wearing on the inner edges). Until 59,000 miles, we took our car to the same Honda dealer where I bought my FIT. However, having lost trust in them, I decided to take my car to other place-non-Honda dealer. So @62,000, front toe was out again and we had 4 wheel alignment performed. Today, @64,000, my husband took my car for oil change and was told that two front tires are completely worn out. Again, we have to replace two front tires. This time, we are offered lifetime alignment, which we decided to buy. It has been a nightmare. But I feel better now that I found this site and a number of people have similar problem. Is this a defect or am I not driving my car right? However, this never happened to me before and as a proof, the first 40,000 miles, I did not have this problem.

82,000 and coming to the end of my 3rd set of tires. Last time I bought longer wear tires and it’s been better. I’ve also have run a higher pressure on the tires by 5 - 8 lbs. But honestly, I’m 56 years old and have owned dozens of cars over my lifetime and have never had these issues before. The last time I put tires on the car the alignment spec’d out correctly. I’ve had it back to Honda and they give you company line like regular tire rotation and inflation and conditions, bla, bla, bla. Dude I drive in a striaght line 75 percent of the time on pavement. Always have checked pressure, don’t abuse the brakes, don’t corner hard as a general rule, etc, etc… Bottom line is that I’ve seen so many complaints about the same issue on this car that, at least in my mind, it’s a Honda issue. I would like to prove that it was their problem too. I have 28,000 miles left on my full coverage warranty. Love everything else about the car though with the exception for the gas mileage. Used to get 35 mpg easy, but when it hit 75K it started to really degrade. Getting about 25 mpg now.

It’s not that uncommon for some vehicles to leave the factory with a bit much negative camber. This aids handling but can cause wear on the inside edges of the tires.
Honda would not be the only one to do something like this and many times the aftermarket manufacturers are the ones to come through with a modification kit, at least on the vehicles that have non-adjustable camber and caster.

Those having wear problems on the inside edges of the tires should closely examine any alignment printouts you have and pay particular attention to what the factory recommended spec is and what the alignment rack shows the camber to be, both before and after any possible adjustments are made.
What you would be looking for is a little minus sign on the camber specs and exactly how minus it really is… :slight_smile:

When the inside edges of the OEM tires on my Matrix became noticeably worn
in spite of rotation, alignment checks and minimal neg. camber
I had the tires flipped over on their rims.
This move nearly doubled their life to 25k, and when I replaced them the centers were worn down as much as the edges.
The replacement Yokohama tires only have 3000 miles but look even so far.