Help: My car loses electric power while driving & then dies

My truck did this yesterday. First the battery went, then my tachometer wasn’t responding, then it stopped running. Tried to restart, just clicking. As I was waiting for a tow, I noticed that the hazard lights (I had turned on the switch, but they weren’t working) started to show and seemed to get brighter with time. Towed it home. Next day found a blown fuse for “generator”, which I assume is the alternator. I replaced that. I also noticed a lot of corrosion on the ground connection from the battery to the frame. I cleaned that up good. Truck started fine. To check the alternator, I disconnected the battery ground and the truck kept running, at a higher voltage because the alternator no longer had to charge the battery. I wish I had tried starting after I replacing the blown fuse. Does anyone have a reason that a bad ground would cause my alternator fuse to blow? Maybe the ground had nothing to do with it, and whatever shorted will short again when it’s least convenient to me. I did buy some extra fuses, though.