Oil burning and catalytic converter

I have a 2000 Toyota Rav4 with 145,000 miles. I bought it when it had 60,000 miles, and it has always used some oil. It burns about 1-2 quarts every 3,000 miles ? not so bad, but it will burn as much as 1 1/2 quart in 600 miles on a long road trip. On my last 3,000 mile trip, it went through about 4 quarts. I have tried all the recommended remedies including heavier oil and additives, but none have helped on long trips. I am torn between just continuing to add oil until the vehicle drops or rebuilding the engine. I am looking for answers to the following questions: Will the oil consumption damage the catalytic converter? What problems should I anticipate if I continue to use the vehicle for long trips? I have a local mechanic who would rebuild the engine for about $2500 (I live in an area where labor costs are low) ? would it be worth it or am I already looking at other problems (such as catalytic converter damage)? The vehicle looks great, runs fine right now, and it is very useful as a work vehicle ? what is the best way to keep it going?

Check the crankcase vent system. Restricted vents cause oil consumption to worsen at highway speeds.

I agree, the PCV system should be checked.

Burning oil will damage the cat. It’s only a matter of time.

The Cat and the oxygen sensors are ALREADY at the end of their useful lives, so that’s really not an issue. Your oil consumption is not outragous, not worth rebuilding the engine. First, make sure that PCV system is working properly from one end to the other, not just the valve…