Buying a used Subaru Forester or Outback - which years are best?

Let me add to VCDdriver’s Subaru experience. My last, I kept for only 130K, original battery, brake pads that were at the 60% level, one new set each of summer and winter tires, clutch felt the same as new as did the entire suspension system. I had one oil leak around the cam seal replaced at timing belt change. A deer hit it and bounced along the entire side…that needed repair. (buck died)…gas and regular fluid/filter changes per manual, and that was it. I lived on a dirt road and banged up the floor boards from below a couple of times on rocks, covered scraped areas with grease, oiled rust proofing and continued beating on it. I’d still have it but, replaced it with a vehicle that could tow a “pontoony”.

SOOOO, even if it did have a head gasket problem which it did not, I would still be way ahead of most cars. That’s why I feel the head casket problem is relative compared to the rest of the car’s reliability and for me, only comes into play when buying used. My only complaints were the seats and the poor overhang and approach angle which scraped too much for me on my “semi off road” road. 4Runner is a definite improvement in that area, but we still miss the Subaru and I wouldn’t hesitate buying another new.