Buying a used Subaru Forester or Outback - which years are best?

Like dagosa, I have bought 2 new Subarus ('97 and '02), and they have been the most reliable cars that I ever owned. Previously, I owned a Dodge Charger, a Volvo 240, a VW Karmann Ghia, a Chevy Citation, a Ford Taurus, and a Honda Accord, and all were purchased as new cars, with the exception of the Karmann Ghia. The '97 Subaru was more reliable than any of my previous cars, and that is why I did not hesitate to buy the '02 model.

In the 12 years/ 160k+ miles that I (and later, my brother) owned the '97 Outback, it needed to have the alternator replaced (at ~95k), the head gaskets replaced (at ~120k), and a lower control arm replaced (at 150k). And that was it. No other repairs in 12 yrs/160k+ miles.

My current Outback (the '02 6-cylinder model) is now at 100k+ miles with the only repair having been replacement of the tensioner and idler pulley for the serpentine belt as a result of dry bearings. That is it, in terms of repairs over 8 years.

If my Honda had been as reliable as my first Subaru, I would have bought another Honda.

That being said, I would probably not buy a used Subaru, but then again, I have not bought a used car of any make since the late '70s, nor do I intend to buy any used cars of any make.