How is saw dust for traction?

“I can slow down from 120 mph and stop safely.”

Here we go again.
Before this becomes an extended debate on Mr. Gift’s obvious gifts regarding safe operation of a motor vehicle, I think that I will bow out of this conversation.

Sawdust can work reasonably well, but it’s something of a “narrow-spectrum” aid. That is, when the ice is close to the the freeze/thaw temperature, sawdust can melt & re-freeze into the ice, creating a compound surface layer somewhat more durable than ice alone. The compound wood/ice won’t liquify under pressure quite as easily as will plain ice, and the wood fibers will absorb some of the liquid water, but not much.

Sand works better over a broader range of conditions because of it density relative to ice (sinks in and stays), hard & sharp edges, and impervious nature (doesn’t soak up water to become part of the slick problem, as does clay-based kitty litter). But all sand isn’t alike. That from windblown dunes is a whole lot smoother than glacial grit.

A slight but potentially crucial advantage can be had by keeping whatever traction dust withing the warm passenger compartment rather than the trunk. Having it initially melt into the ice and re-freeze can make all the difference, especially with something light like sawdust that otherwise tends to just get blown off the surface ice before getting a grip.

Personally, I just carry a couple of fiberglass roof shingles for traction mats.

}}}}

Even with winter tires, or even studs, it is entirely possible that you’ll wind up needing kitty litter.

The difference between the mass of kitty litter and sawdust is negligible compared to the mass of your Expedition.

Hah. There are lots of places where they use sand or gravel or even silt. It works great. Better than salt in some conditions, and as good as salt in all conditions.

But only someone who’s never set foot off of pavement would think that clay would be a good idea.

“I can slow down from 120 mph and stop safely.”

On snow and ice, this is like saying “I can point this revolver with one bullet in it at my head and pull the trigger safely.”

Actually, in an Expedition, I think that might be like that even in summer.

Depends on temperature, and how long it takes you to get unstuck. if your tires don’t melt the ice before you get out, it works. Good for Alaska, maybe not for Ohio.

Dear Mr. Gift:

[sarcasm] Which weighs more, a pound of saw dust, a pound of sand, or a pound of kitty litter? [/sarcasm]

When considering safety factors, cost should be no object. The question you should be asking if you love your family is “Which one works best?” not “Is saw dust good enough?” or “Can I afford NOT to do this?” instead of “How can I sacrifice my family’s safety to save some money?”

I think you are being penny wise and pound foolish about winter tires. Yes, the cash outlay would be high, but you can only mount one set of tires at a time, so while you use your winter tires, your summer tires sit in storage without receiving any wear. This means your tire cost should be spread out as a per-mile cost of operating the vehicle. The price of the new rims would be the only cost increase. The tires themselves would not significantly increase your per mile cost to operate your vehicle since both sets of tires would last longer than they would otherwise.

The sawdust in not a safety issue.
Just what is light weight but still effective on slippery driveways, parking lots or when stuck in snow.

Rarely do I need snow tires.
99% of time the M&S work very well.
But there can be times the emergency vehicle is called to perform medical transport using highways and interstates closed due to snow.
That is why I’d like to mount snow-tired wheels just for 6 inches or more of snow.
Then remove them when roads are clear enough.

I never trust any tire enough to drive faster on it unless the pavement is dry.
My routine speed on an interstate highway is 50 mph - always in the right lane.

Just what is light weight but still effective on slippery driveways, parking lots or when stuck in snow.

A pound of sand would work better than a pound of saw dust, as to which one weighs more, I hope you can figure that out.

If you want to cut costs you could seek out some used Kitty Litter…

“If you want to cut costs you could seek out some used Kitty Litter…”
Don’think I haven’thought of that.
Actually, I have used “cleaned” kitty litter!

But there can be times the emergency vehicle is called to perform medical transport using highways and interstates closed due to snow.

And you argue that winter tires aren’t worth your expense and you face necessary travel in those conditions ?. Heck, even in snow country you actually use snow tires a small % of the time but need them when you do. It’s statements like this that keep making me think you’re a “plant” by the boys. How can we take you seriously ?

I am merely a volunteer.
No money for such tires.
I carry chains, but snow tires would be.tter.
Also carry a dig out shovel.

In the twentyears of doing this, have never needed the tires or chains.
Got stuck in the blood center’s parking lot. Got out and walked through the snow and carried the blood boxes to the vehicle.
Then after miles of dry pavement between the two cities, got stuck in the hospital’s parking lot and walked the blood to the hospital.

Sawdust, shavings and hay SUCK for traction. My nether regions have had many a close encouter with a hard surface covered with one of those three materials. You won’t like my suggestion but those of us who share the roads with you would feel a lot better if you would save up some vacation time and attend the Bridgestone winter driving school in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. If you were as good a driver as you think you are, you wouldn’t be having so much trouble in parking lots. Our safety crews have an answer for people who complain about the cost of safety gear: “A ten dollar helmet for a ten dollar head!”

Yes, on hard surfaces it could be slippery.
What would saw dust do on snow and ice? (Th.is also for wife and anyonelse.)

Those parking lots had about 14 to 16 inches of snow, higher with drifts.
At 3 a.m. at the blood center, and 5 a.m. at the hospital, neither organization’s maintenance had been able to get their places.

I don’t consider the tires “safety gear”.
Just to help not get stuck.

[b]

I don’t consider the tires “safety gear”. [/b]

Priceless. That says it all.

Correct.
If you are depending on snow tires for safety, you’re driving too fast.

Wrong!

Tires are important to safety no matter how you drive. Besides, even if you were right, I think you easily fit into the “driving too fast” label.

If you really don’t think you depend on tires for safety, try driving 10 miles per hour with no tires at all.

No, I do not depend upon my tires for safety.
I depend upon my driving - prudent speed for conditions, seeing road surface, etc.

Daily I check tire appearance (walkaround before departing) and measure pressure about once a week while refueling.