Do you use your phone while you drive?

I just hate the telephone in general so driving or not I’d just rather not have to use one (mobile or otherwise).

But like many people it is a good coordinating device, and like many here I will answer the phone while driving long enough to figure out if I need to get milk on the way home.

But I do have to say that the general cultural obsession people seem to have these days with the cell phone as the evil of the roadways is a bit overrated. The net ought to be cast a lot wider b/c there are many many things that drivers do that are really stupid and due to lack of attention to the task. Sometimes that involves a phone but just as often it does not. As with others I have seen people reading while driving, shaving, putting on make-up, cleaning up the fries that just fell in their lap etc.

A campaign against “distracted driving” makes sense to me. Primary focus on the phone does not. I’ll also add that allowing phoning if one uses a hands-free device makes even less sense to me. The issue isn’t so much where your hands are (though I’m not saying that is irrelevant), but where your head is. The head set also takes your head out of the game.

In general, I think people have all sorts of screwy ideas about what makes the roads unsafe. I think that there is perhaps one thing that is far more important than all others which is teaching people how to drive. An astounding number of people understand very little about how the roadways work.