Equivalent coolants to Honda Long Life and Toyota Genuine

Are there brand name equivalent coolants to the ?Honda Antifreeze/Coolant? AND the ?Toyota Genuine Long Life Coolant??

How does one know, factually, one way or another? Whereas I can read the ingredients on the side of a Prestone Long-Life bottle, I can?t readily compare them with those of Honda?s or Toyota?s product.

The $14 and $17 cost for pre-mixed 50/50 one gallon containers cause me to wonder if the cost is justified. Here is what our owner?s manual says for the three cars we operate.

The ?96 Honda Accord (81K) owner?s manual says ?Always use Honda Antifreeze/Coolant. The cooling system contains many aluminum components that can corrode if an improper antifreeze is used. Some antifreeze, though labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not provide adequate protection.? The language is silent on the use of silicate or borate free antifreeze.

?06 Honda Accord (15K) owner?s manual is even more specific. It says, ?Always use Honda Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. Later is says, ?If Honda antifreeze/coolant is not available, you may use another major-brand non-silicate coolant as a temporary replacement. Make sure it is a high-quality coolant recommended for aluminum engines. Continued use of any non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail. Have the cooling system flushed and refilled with Honda antifreeze coolant as soon as possible.?

There is a bit a change in tack with respect to the recommendations in our ?02 Toyota Camry (64K). It APPEARS that it leaves the door open to long term use of other than Toyota branded coolant, though with caveat. The owner?s manual says, ?Use of improper coolants may damage your engine cooling system. Your coolant must contain ethylene glycol type coolant for a proper corrosion protection of your engine that contains aluminum components.

We have used ?Toyota Genuine Long Life Coolant? in your vehicle. In order to avoid technical problems, we strongly recommend using ?Toyota Genuine Long Life Coolant? or equivalent.?

By the way, what are silicates for, and what adverse effect to they have on the engine?

All thoughts appreciated.

Both Honda and Toyota use the non-silicate coolant. My Toyopa specifies it, and I keep a jug of pre-mixed coolant around.

Until I see a product on the shelf that specifically says it’s non-silicate and meets the Toyota spec, I won’t use anything else.

I’m sure you will soon be able to get an after market version to meet the Honda spec, but in the meantime, I would use the Honda product and pay a few dollars extra.

I’ve been using the Prestone anti-freeze that’s good for ALL types for the past few years. No problems so far.

This should help explain it

It should also explain why I use only manufacturer specified coolant and distilled water.

See if Zerex or other makes a no-silicate HOAT coolant. I would use it if they do, but only after a full coolant exchange using an exchange or two or more of purified water before refilling.

Interesting article. I appreciate hearing from you and all other responders. Thanks. Glenn

imo: my 06 accord and 06 rav4 i will use oe fluids because i dont want any problem especially cooling system with these cars.just bought toyota coolant from dealer,the honda
i got it at internet thru bernardi honda.if these oe coolant in the cars for years why changed? i plan do change them q 3 years too often it’s my peace of mind,few dollars wasted
rather than wrong coolant for few dollar savings.radiator,engine,water pump not cheap to replace if something to do with wrong fluids.