Your first car

I bought my first car the summer before my senior year in high school. It was 1965 and I bought a 1960 Morris Minor. It was advertised for $195 but when I went to look at it they said $150. When I went to pay for it, they said $125. When I went to pick it up, it wouldn’t start. What a piece of junk all beat to heck but fun. The trans was shot, half the carb gone, needed brakes, tires, and so on. It got about a mile per gallon with the carb problems so I carried a can of gas in the trunk all the time. I had it painted mellow yellow and fixed it up to my budget of $250, then sold it at break even. Even though I told him everything that was wrong, I thought the guy was going to kill me when he saw me again.

Biggest problem was not starting without pushing it. So I’d stop for gas on the way to work at the drive in and have to push it down the street in my whites to get it started. We took it to the drive in and pushed it up and down the humps to get it started. The next summer I bought a 59 VW and that was much better.