Are Blind Spots a Myth?

Whitey, I hear you. I didn’t make my point well. I was referring to those who back up using the over the shoulder head turn exclusively and not using the mirrors or even getting out to check the backing area. If all they do is head turn, the entire perimeter is a blind spot below the belt line. Full vision scan is always encouraged which includes mirrors, direct line of sight and yes, getting out making observations. Taking estimated measurements and transferring them to known distances with respect to what you can see from the driver’s seat, is the secret to safely stopping a tractor trailer within inches of a loading dock.

The point I did not make well is that there is in some vehicles, a contradiction between ideal mirror adjustment for backing up and safe on road driving and mirrors are not a “set and forget” feature. Wear them out…it’s should not be unusual to have a finger on the power mirror control and constantly adjusting it while backing for an operator that has the feature.

I like the option of back up and perimeter driving cameras and feel that given today’s technology and how inexpensive they can be, should be mandated for many vehicles. Sorry for the suggestion for you conservatives.