1972 VW Westfalia Camper

Back in the 70s I owned a 1971 VW bus. I had it for eight years, and drove it everywhere. It was reliable, but compared to today’s vehicles it was maintenance-intensive. It required frequent oil changes, valve adjustments, replacement of plugs, points and condenser (do you even know what points and condenser are?), and careful adjustment of the ignition timing. My bus even had an oil bath air cleaner. High tech stuff!

The only way I’d consider owning something like that today would be as a hobby car, to be driven occasionally. Attempting to use a '72 Bus as a daily driver is, in my opinion, not a very good idea.

These things are SLOW, and on a modern highway you’d be considered a roadblock. A crosswind will blow a VW bus into oncoming traffic, and a headwind can make it impossible to get over 50 mph.

Acceleration is measured in minutes, not seconds, so merging onto the freeway has to be planned WAY in advance. Top speed is around 70, but you’d need a nice long downhill run to reach it. You’d be very lucky to maintain a steady 60 mph cruising speed. Climbing any sort of hill will slow your progress.

I remember driving up hills in West Virginia, foot to the floor in 3rd gear, and loaded logging trucks were passing me.

Then there’s the safety angle. Your feet are inches behind the front bumper, and there’s virtually zero crash protection. Oh, and there’s no heat or defroster, either. In the winter it’s not unusual to scrape frost off the INSIDE of the windshield.

As a vehicle to camp in they’re great. As a vehicle to drive, not so much.