2007 Mini Cooper S Check Engine Light

I have 2007 Mini Cooper S Coupe bought in April, 2007. I’ve got about 24k miles and had absolutely no problems. This morning, the yellow CHECK ENGINE light comes on. Some other owners say this can happen when filling up and will go away. Or catalytic converter failing. Fueled up at my regular BP station last night - the gas cap is on correctly. Car runs fine as far as I can tell. Don’t know if I can get anyone to look at it Sat morning - would it be foolish to take it out of town this weekend?

I’d suggest taking the cap all the way off, and putting it back on again. Sometimes the cap doesn’t thread in properly and it clicks like it is tight but it is not properly sealing the gas tank. That can cause the check engine light to come on. It will stay on for a while even with the cap on properly but eventually will shut off.

I understand your uncertainty about taking a trip, but I think you will be OK. If the check engine light is flashing, or if there is a problem with the way the car runs then I’d be more concerned. Keep an eye on your fluids and guages as you drive and hopefully the light will go off and all will be normal.

If you wish you can go to an auto parts store like Auto Zone and see if the cars computer has stored an error code and learn what it is.

Right. Have someone read the codes and post back with the results. Be thankful your car has a 80K mile emissions warranty…

Thanks!

P.S.
I took it to the dealer today - they replaced the High Pressure Fuel Pump. They said even though the care seemed to run fine, it was sending error messages and not functioning properly. Good thing it was under warranty - would have been a $1000 repair.

P.S.
I took it to the dealer today - they replaced the High Pressure Fuel Pump. They said even though the care seemed to run fine, it was sending error messages and not functioning properly. Good thing it was under warranty - would have been a $1000 repair.

Interesting that a problem with the fuel pump triggered the Check Engine light…or was it an unrelated issue? Did they ever tell you what code(s) made the CEL turn on?

I just took my car into San Diego Mini (newer dealer) for a diagnostic for the engine lamp. It was beginning to hard start and stall and run rough after 200 plus miles with the light on. The book is practically no help with the messages that appear on the dash. They replaced the fuel pump (warranty work even with 54K miles)and did a fuel injection and Induction system cleaning ($288) and also replaced the timing chain tensioner and got it running great again!! The cleaning is recommended from a 7/2010 service bulletin. About 150 miles later we got a triangle with a gear in it message. No clue what that meant and it went away! Transmission?