1999 Subaru Impreza Outback - Shake n' Shudder

Thanks for the responses from both of you. Things seem to be pointing to the trans. I also had a mechanic look at the car yesterday. They found intermittent issues shifting from 1st to 2nd (automatic trans). They weren’t able to high speed test drive but that’s what they found on DC city streets. As far as the tires are concerned, I’ve also heard that mismatched tires could contribute to a trans issue. Right now, all tires are exactly the same make, model and size. The fronts are newer than the rear, though. Prior to me buying new tires in the front, there were different make tires between the front and rear. Same size but different makes. Thanks again for your responses. I got a quote yesterday for a rebuilt trans for $2200. I’m not going to be sinking that kind of money into this car right now. I’ll see if I can get another opinion/quote. My concern is if I find someone who will do the clutch work for $800 and I end up having other trans issues. It’s a shame. The car is a good city car for me right now.