2001 Ford Escape has blown up 3 egr valves this week...please help my dealer find the problem

Hi all,

Just like RTibbitts07, my EGR valve (in my 2002 Ford Escape) blew and I found this thread on Google. I’ve noticed poor milage since I bought the truck last year (I’ve been getting 175 miles on average per 15 gallon tank). While I was driving on the highway yesterday, the car would not go past 40 miles while I was driving up a hill even though I was flooring the gas pedal. After I stopped at a light and started driving again, I noticed the car (automatic) woudn’t change into third gear and was at about 5000 rpm. I took my foot off the gas completely and when I stepped back on the gas, the gear changed and I started hearing the “whooshing of air” begin with every acceleration. When I got to my in-laws house, my father-in-law and I opened up the hood and found that the EGR valve had a hole blown right through it just like you guys have. We’ll be getting a replacement from Ford tomorrow and installing it. What else do I need to check? Sounds like I need to have the fuel pressure, exhaust, and or catalytic converter checked. Regardless, it’s been a really educating experience reading this thread and I look forward to hearing all the results!

Thanks