Problems with 03 Lincoln LS

Ok, the car has been at the dealership’s shop five different times for this same issue. They have had it connected to a computer for days at a time with Ford Engineers on the phone trying to diagnose the problem. The car does not shake or shudder. As I begin to accelerate from a complete stop (either at a stop sign or a red light), the car does not respond to the accelerator pedal being pressed. The engine continues to run, but it does give the impression that it could stall at any minute. It does not matter how hard or soft I step on the accelerator, the result is the same. After a second or two, it decides to respond. Sometimes it backfires, but not always. Then the wrench indicator light comes on (every so often the check engine light comes on as well, but that does not happen every time the wrench light illuminates) and the car’s RPMs jump without any acceleration response. I can still drive the car, but it takes a VERY long time to get it up to highway speeds. The very last time the car was returned to me, almost two weeks ago and after having all six coils replaced, I was able to drive it 1000 miles before it happened again. Once it happens though, it does not go away until the shop has completed some type of repair. I just dropped it off at the Lincoln dealership again last night. They now believe intermittent spikes are causing the problem from the alternator.

I was hoping that maybe someone out there might have some suggestions or ideas, as this has really frustrated me to no end. I brought it to the dealership thinking that they were the experts, but a couple of months later with no end in sight and a thousand dollars in repair bills, I am left wondering if anyone can fix my car.