Traffic

No, they’re not. Speed limits are intended to dumb down the driving environment so that the “lowest-common-denominator troglodytes” can cope. Even so, many still can’t. We learn about them in accident reports in the news. Much of the problem arises from the negligible value placed on driving well for its own sake.

So it’s the the people who drive slow that cause all the accidents? Maybe we should break that news to the insurance companies so that they can correct their premiums to give lower rates to drivers of high performance cars. Maybe all those NASCAR crashes were actually done on purpose so that they aren’t actually “accidents”.
Even if I was born yesterday, I didn’t live the whole day through without knowing a cop-out when I see one.

You mean the way to go faster is to slow down? Try selling that idea to NASCAR drivers in the Daytona 500.

You would be surprised to learn just how much pacing is done in long distance auto racing. In order to finish first, first you must finish. An extra 10~15 seconds of going zero mph in an extra pit stop can really blow your average speed.

It sounds contradictory but I have found that slowing down doesn’t really slow me down if you take “mph” literally, that is “miles per hour”. I just spend a lot less time going zero miles per hour while waiting for red lights to turn green. I would be rich if I had a buck for every aggressive driver who sped past me only for me to catch up with him a few miles down the road while he was stopped at a red light.