2006 nissan sentra long crank time

I see there is a service bulletin about the long crank time required to start my car. However I do not see any information on how to rectify the problem.

I had the same problem with my 2005 Sentra. I took it in for routine oil change (at the Nissan Dealer) and asked about long crank time mainly occuring during hot weather. They advised there was a service bulliten. They replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator at no charge.

Battery problem, battery cable connections (clean and tight) or fuel pump would be my guess.

Try this, turn the key to the on position but do not start. Wait a few seconds, then turn it to start. If it starts right up, its the regulator.

1. Put the key in the ignition.
  2. Turn the key to the “on” position (but not the “start” position).
  3. Wait 15 seconds.
  4. Listen for the sound of the fuel pump. You might not be able to hear it, but if you do hear it, wait for it to shut off before you do anything else. If you don’t hear it, just wait 15 seconds.
  5. After 15 seconds have passed, or you hear the fuel pump shut off (whichever happens first), start the engine. It should start right up without extended cranking.

This is the process truck drivers use when starting their semis. You could just do this all time, and you wouldn’t need to fix or replace anything.