Secret Tricks of Car Salesmen

My pet peeve is being manipulated. After appearing to be close to a decision on a particular car, a typical scenario is being asked for your drivers license, “to enable us to get a jump start on confirming your loan eligibility” while we complete the deal, then letting you stew alone in the pen (salesman’s office) for an indeterminable length of time, ostensibly to soften you up. Repeated requests for what is taking so long are typically answered with, “the manager is reviewing the deal”. I have already reached to point of threatening physical action if my DR was not immediately returned so that I could WALK. Which I did on two occasions.

I now never allow myself to be lured into such situations. I set the tone for how the transaction will be conducted, and control what takes place. My attitude is it?s my requirement and my money. If a salesman wants to sell me a car, it will be on my terms. Of course, the more time you have on your side, the easier this becomes. Salesmen thrive on the emergency buyers??.?my engine just blew up and I need a new car by Monday?