2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 liter engine - Timing Chain problem

Dear Cappy208 -
The check engine light has never been on. Just the oil light. Not sure about codes (I don’t see any shown if that is what you mean). The mechanic that looked it over was from Monro Muffler (not the dealership). He said that the timing chain “flakes off” and then clogs the oil pan and I would have to have the big 6-hour labor intense job to clean out the oil pan (and I think he meant to “fix” the timing chain, too; not sure if that is what he said). I also called my local dealer’s service shop, which has a great reputation and is excellent, and talked to a service tech there. I explained the oil light coming on to him. He said that it sounded like I needed a new oil pump and this was also a six-hour job to get to it and replace it. He also said something about the timing chain being a problem with these cars. I’m still confused about how the timing chain, the oil pump and the water pump are all interrelated and what actually might be the problem with the oil light coming on. What do you think I need to fix - just the oil pump and not the timing chain and/or the water pump. Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks again.
Mark