Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

V4 vs V6

I AM ABOUT TO BUY A FUSION 2008, BUT I AM TRAPPED BETWEEN BUYING A 4 CYLS ENGINE OR A 6 CYLS ENGINE. I COME FROME AN ERA (56 YEARS OLD), WHERE HAVING A 4 CYLS CAR, OR EVEN A 6 CYLS, WAS A TABU. DOES A 4 CYLS CAR LASTS THE SAME THAN A 6 CYLS?, I AM AN EASY DRIVER, I DON'T DO QUARTER MILE RACES, MAYBE MY PROBLEM IS ONLY PSYCOLOGICAL OR PERCEPTION. PLEASE HELP ON THIS.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    I have owned both types. My feeling is that for just a little more power with the 6cyl, it's not worth the less gas mileage.

I currently own a 6cyl and my next car will be a 4cyl. It will have less giddyup, but I can handle that. Good luck!
  • edited February 2008
    I made a one liter (61 cubic inches) three cylinder Geo Metro engine last 280,000 miles. If you take it easy, the only thing you will gain with the six is more difficult/expensive maintainence and it may possibly need premium gas.
    A four cylinder engine that's cruising at 65 is under less strain than a 6 that's going 75 mph, assuming that the six has 50% more displacement.
  • edited February 2008
    One will last as long as the other if the maintenance is kept up. Personally, I prefer the 6 as they generally have a better powerband and pull better.
  • edited February 2008
    If you are as easy on the pedal as you say, you may get almost as much mileage with the 6 as with the 4. People generally buy a 6 because it is a little quicker and sometimes smoother. I would not spend the money on a 6.
  • edited February 2008
    No difference in longevity mechanical wise. However if your unhappy with the power of a 4 cylinder produces you may be more apt to trade/sell your car earlier which is far more expensive than anything. Drive both and see. I treat the cars I like/enjoy much better than those I do not, also tend to keep them. I like the extra omph. The fuel penalty is minor on most vehicles.
  • edited February 2008

For the type of driving you do, based on your description, you would really be better off with the 4-cyl engine than the V6. The initial cost is less and there is a fuel savings. Some folks have the psychological need for more power but the Fusion's 4-cyl engine has all you really need.

• edited February 2008
    Those four cylinders have plenty of power. Enough so the other drivers won't notice that you are a practical person. I'm right in that age range and even I know that that era is over. I know, I owna 4WD GMC Sierra with the 4.8. These days it sounds big but...which era am I in now? I was driving a Saturn Vue with the four cylinder and it was faster than this pickup truck. 2.2 engine I think. I live with snow now and a slight hill in the driveway. I can't walk in snow so I think I need the big pickup. I hate to get gas now.
  • edited February 2008
    I usually get 4s, but my last purchase I had choice of 4 with turbo or a V6 (passat), and went with the V6. Have since found out I made the right choice as the 4s had lots of sludge problems and ignition coil problems.

However, almost all 4s have plenty of power for average driving, just avoid the turbos.
  • edited February 2008
    As the others have stated, modern vehicles with 4-cylinder engines have sufficient power for acceleration onto a highway. And, once you are up to speed, they will get better mileage than a 6-cylinder engine.

That being said, there is also the noise factor to consider. When accelerating, most 4-cylinder engines have to work much harder than a 6-cylinder engine, thus making them much noisier on acceleration. That is one of the reasons why I opted for a 6-cylinder engine in my present car. I am willing to pay the 1 mpg "penalty" for the smoothness and quiet of the six.

And, if you find a Ford Fusion being sold in the US market with a V-4 engine, please post back with information on that unique car!

You should be aware that the 4-cylinder engines currently being marketed in this country are either I-4 or H-4 engines (the Fusion has an I-4). The sixes that are on the market include V-6, H-6, and I-6 designs, with the Fusion utilizing a V-6.

If you tell a car salesman that you want a V-4 Fusion, that will mark you as someone who they can take advantage of, due to a lack of knowledge. Try to be as knowledgeable as possible when dealing with a car salesman, and you are less likely to be over-charged.
  • edited February 2008
    I suggest you try both then decide for yourself.
This discussion has been closed.