Tune Up for 100000 miles

I have a 2003 Honda Civic that will be needing a major tune up by the beginning of the year or later. I know I have to change the timing belt. But what else should I be looking for at 100000 miles when I go talk to a mechanic?

How much do they usualy cost?I am female so I don’t want to get ripped off.

The best place to find out what should be done is your car’s Bible. They call it an owner’s manual.

And, it is found in the glove compartment. Those who do not read and follow the advice contained in that book usually regret it.

By following the well-meaning suggestions for maintenance that you may get from your question, you could wind up skipping something vital or doing something that is not necessary. And, since nobody could possibly give you better advice than the people who designed and built your car, you should do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with the maintenance procedures that are specified in the Owner’s Manual. The manual will give you the total picture of what needs to be done.

Today, the word “tune-up” means NOTHING. Don’t ever use it when requesting service. As others have said, do what the owners manual says to do but DON’T call this a “tune-up”…

I’ve never looked at the owners manual for a civic, are they really comprehensive enough to address everything that should be done at the 100K mile point? Just asking, I don’t really know. I wouldn’t want the OP to get the impression that anything not explicitly called out in the owners manual is unnecessary for the life of the car.

I would also seek out a good independent mechanic that specializes in honda (or at least asian cars) and ask his advice, especially if you are interested in keeping the car for the long term.

I agree that the term “tune up” has become meaningless.

The documentation that comes with a new car tells you EVERYTHING you need to know to take care of your car. That’s why they call it an “Owner’s Manual.” Read and follow the manual. It’s the best thing you can do, regardless of the make and model of your car.

A high cost does not mean that you’re being ripped off.
Also, one should never allow spark plugs to remain in an engine for 100k miles.

Expect about $5~600 for the timing belt/water pump and maybe $100 for spark plugs/wires and air filter.
So, maybe $800 for all of it, and expect to leave the car there either overnight, or for atleast 4~5 hours, because the engine needs to cool down before they climb into it for the TB/WP

That may be a bit of an overstatement. Does your owner’s manual address every fluid in your car (or does it try to tell you that you have some “lifetime fluids”)? Does it address all the hoses and belts that will ever have to be replaced? Does it assume things like motor mounts will last the life of the car? What about servicing wheel bearings and replacing shocks/struts?

Your statement only makes sense if you consider everything beyond the scope of the manual to be a repair, not maintenance. IMHO, the owners manual tells you about 5% of what you (or your mechanic) really needs to know to take care of your care (at least if you intend to keep it much beyond the warrantee period).

steph:

if you dont know any good reputable mechanics in your area, ask others at work who they recommend. if not at work, another social club (church, school, etc)

usually a recommendation is the best way to go, and take the owners manual in with you and discuss what NEEDS to be done, versus what MAY need to be done. let the mechanic know you dont have unlimited finances, and this is just a normal 100k maintenance visit.

if you can’t get a recommendation, go to the HOME pagehttp://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/ and look up by your zip code. this usually gives you some suggestions and comments based on others input.

In 2003, my mechanic replaced the timing belt (part cost $60), water pump ($79) the belt tensioner ($60), tensioner roller ($48), two serpentine belts ($45) and antifreeze ($8) on my 1998 Camry for a total labor charge of $331 and total parts cost of $299. His labor rate at the time was $65/hr, he now charges $75. I got his name from the Car Talk mechanic list.

“discuss what NEEDS to be done, versus what MAY need to be done”

i used this in the wrong context. the correct wording should have been: discuss what MAY NEED to be done versus what the manual recommends, and what the car actually needs.

some vehicles get way different maintenance from the manual, simply because of the conditions the car is driven in. (sometime a car gets MORE maintenance, sometimes less)

this is easier to decipher if you have a mechanic you can trust. (and unfortunately it may take more than a visit to one to find such a reputable individual!)

I agree that you should consult the owner’s manual. On late model cars, typically expect to have to replace spark plugs (platinum), timing belt, engine coolant, engine oil & filter, transmission fluid & filter,fuel filter, cabin air filter,drive belts, but no hardware, except possibly the brake shoes and pads. Hondas are very durable, and struts, exhaust system, radiator and other items that bite the dust in lesser cars should still be OK if you drive gently.