Buick regal multi function switch

I have a '98 Buick Regal. The windshield washer stopped working. It is a part of the turn signal switch along with cruise control, etc. The switch still sends enough power to light up a 12 v probe light at the pump but not enough power to operate the pump. Tried new pump…not the problem.

Used switch is on order(new is $420 !) Problem: I have already spent $100+ to determine that switch needs to be replaced.

Question: I would like to replace switch myself. I am getting conflicting advise as to the ease or difficulty of replacement. ESPECIALLY, does the steering wheel and air bag need to be removed or not ??? HELP ! I am fairly handy and have the time. (recently replaced window regulator)

Is your car a floor shift or a column shift?
~Michael

Hi…
shifter is on the console on the floor between the seats… all Regals '97-05 use the same switch. Any ideas ?
Thanks, Gary

I have to wonder if the switch is really the problem since the power to the pump may come from a module. Have you checked to see if there is a bad connection between the pump and where ever the wire goes to?

Here are the instructions for replacement directly from the manual. I have no idea why they suggest removing the steering column and putting it in a vice. Those steps can be ignored. You will also need to remove the lower dash cover to access the wiring harness.
~Michael

W/ Floor Shift

To Remove:

1. Remove steering column.
  2. Remove the tilt lever.
  3. Place the steering column in the center position.
  4. Install holding fixture tool J 41352 (or equivalent) on steering column and secure tool in a vise.
  5. Insert anti rotation pin J 42640 into steering column lower shroud.
  6. Remove 2 pan head tapping screws from the lower shroud.
  7. Remove lower shroud from upper shroud.
  8. Tilt the lower shroud down and slide backwards to disengage locking tabs.
  9. Remove shroud protector from the lower shroud.
  10. Remove 2 torx? head screws from the upper shroud.
  11. Remove upper shroud.
  12. Remove the wire harness strap from the steering column.
  13. Disconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil connector.
  14. Slide the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connectors out of the bulkhead connector.
  15. Remove 2 screws from turn signal and multifunction switch assembly and remove the switch from the steering column tilt head assembly.
    To Install:
  16. Install the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly onto the steering column tilt head assembly.
  17. Install the 2 switch screws. Tighten the screws to 62 in lb (7 Nm).
  18. Slide the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connectors into the bulkhead connector.
  19. Connect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector to the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil connector.
  20. Install the upper shroud onto the steering column.
  21. Install the 2 torx? head screws. Tighten the screws to 13 in lb (1.5 Nm).
  22. Install the shroud protector onto the lower shroud.
  23. Install the lower shroud onto the upper shroud.
  24. Line up the tab slots on the lower shroud with the locking tabs on the upper shroud and tilt the lower shroud up.
  25. Slide the lower shroud forward until the tabs snap in place.
  26. Install the 2 pan head tapping screws into the lower shroud. Tighten the screws to 31 in lb (3.5 Nm).
  27. Remove the steering column anti rotation pin from the lower shroud.
  28. Remove the steering column and modular column holding fixture from vise.
  29. Install the tilt lever.
  30. Install steering column.