Sound from front end suspension

Good evening,

Just a quick question. A few weeks back I heard a light squeak after going over the random speed bump from my driver side wheel. My mechanic didn’t really think much of it at the time. It has gradually become more frequent, almost every time I drive now sometimes loud sometimes quiet. I am wondering if it is my control arm, any thoughts on what it could be? What would be the general price tag to get something like that fixed? I drive a 2009 Chevy Equinox.

Thank you.

It could be anything from a piece of loose plastic trim to a bad bearing/suspension part that could cause your wheel to fall off. I will drive back to the mechanic slowly and have it checked again.

I think the most likely culprit is the stabilizer bar frame bushing on the drivers side. You might get away with a short squirt of silicon spray onto the bushing but the better way is to unbolt the metal strap holding the bushing and squeeze a little silicon grease INside the bushing and then tighten it back up. I’d do both sides, if it were me.

Not sure about the placement on a Equinox but it could be a 10 minute job, or an hour. Ask your mechanic, if its an hour, try the spray first.

+1 to mustang’s post.
You might want to stop by the dealer parts window and request an “exploded view drawing” of the sway bar installation. Many cars now have the bushings on top of the front subframe, and they can be a bear to get to. The drawing will be a great help.

A few weeks back I heard a light squeak after going over the random speed bump from my driver side wheel.

That could be the problem… you only one wheel on the driver side! :wink: (Sorry, couldn’t resist. I do see the heading says, “front end suspension”)

I know what happens when people assume, but I’ll assume that you are talking about the one front wheel, eh?

Seriously, for a noise like the one that you describe (09-10 Equinox & similar body GM SUVs) GM advises their technicians to try greasing the strut rod where it comes in contact with the jounce bumper.
CSA