Starter

How long does it take to replace a starter on a 1975 chevy malibu

I would give it 1 hour max, depends on the engine of course. Why do you ask?

Cause me and a buddy were planning on tacking it today but I didn’t know how long it would take gotta get it running by tomorrow

You still didn’t mention which engine. And why do you think the starter needs replacement?

Did you solve your gas pedal problem?

This era of starter motors on GM cars quite often require a shim. If you hear any starter grind noise at all with the new starter motor in place you will need to add a shim or two.
Those shim packs are available at the parts stores for a few bucks. Always use the thinnest shim that will get rid of the problem.

And you do not have to remove the starter each time you try a shim. Remove one bolt and loosen the other. The starter will drop down enough to where a shim can be added. Eyeballing the shims will show you which bolt comes out and which one stays.

Don’t ignore any starter grinding noise. Left unattended, eventually the starter motor will fail and in some cases may peel the teeth off of the flexplate or flywheel; depending upon transmission type. That would mean having to pull the engine or transmission.

I’m a diy’er and usually allow 4 hours to replace my Corolla’s starter. The first time took me 6 hours, a bit of a learning curve. A pro with a lift could do it in an hour I expect.

Sorry guys phone died just got home the pedal was fixed now the starter won’t catch the flywheel to spin it so we’re taking a guess that that’s bad bad news is its a performance starter so I don’t have a car till Friday cause I had to order one

What does performance starter do that a factory replacement can’t do?

If this is a stock 75 Malibu then a ho-hum starter motor from AutoZone or wherever should be good enough.
Are you saying that you ordered a starter and had it shipped and is this performance starter a gear reduction type or what?

It has a 383 stroker engine in it and a regular starter won’t fit where the performance stater is

I am amazed that someone would have a 383 stroker motor in their car and is not familiar with installing a starter.

Maybe the Malibu already had the stroker motor installed BEFORE OP bought the car :wink:

I don’t get why any starter has to be special. A 383 stroker Chevy is nothing but a 350 with roughly a 1/4" added to the stroke.

Maybe the starter motor is simply for the wrong application.

I had a car (1963 Ford 406cu in 405hp with 12.1 factory compression ratio per owner’s manual). I bought a custom built 900cca battery but kept the factory starter motor. No problems.

True, but it may have headers on it that preclude the use of an OEM starter. I’ll take the OP at his word that it needs the “performance” starter. Perhaps the OP would be so kind as to offer an explanation? It may not be germane to the problem, but it’d satisfy our curiosities.

I suspect “won’t fit” has to do with the headers, modern starter motors are much smaller than the ones from the 1970’s.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9000/10002/-1

Sorry boys been busy with both my cars now and yes it has headers that won’t allow anything bigger then the performance starter to fit in it also I’m not a huge mechanic guy I bought the car with the 383 in it I’m trying to learn about cars so I can start to fix them myself

Also now that I got my starter and were installing it I found a very small crack were the bolt would go for my starter does anyone here know how to fix that

Can you post a photo?
Whoops! I forgot, the function is busted. Hopefully the website folks will get it fixed and you can post a photo.
Generally these types of things require welding, grinding, and drilling and/or tapping.