Muffler Vibration

My '05 Lexus RX330 has developed a vibration and rattling noise, that I believe comes from the exhaust system. Any thoughts on trouble shooting or quick repair?

More than likely, the problem is a loose or broken heat shield on the exhaust system.
This is a situation where an independent mechanic can frequently install a clamp in order to remedy the situation. Or, you could go to a dealership where they might advocate replacing the entire exhaust system.

;-))

Stainless steel hose clamps work pretty well in grabbing and holding heat shields that have broken their holding brackets. Wrap it around the exhaust pipe and trap the shield underneath and tighten it up. Better than bailing wire, a coat hanger or tape.

Yeah, tape… I’ve seen people do this! Lasts about an hour.

they also make cans of “muffler fix”, which is like a glue/epoxy that can fill and cold weld some of this. depending on the type of break or looseness you have, wanted you to know this material is available. worked for my friends alitima. Napa/or Oreileys ect

This reminds me, when I used to own a 70’s VW Rabbit, it seemed like I had this problem develop two or three times a year. It always turned out to be a broken rubber suspension hanger. That part must be a VW specific part, b/c I’ve never had that problem on my Corolla or my truck, both much older than my VW Rabbit was. That part is about 3 inch by 3 inch and shaped like the Greek letter “Theta”, you know a circle with a horizontal line through the middle. It was easy enough job to do, but there’s maybe a half dozen of those along the exhaust system, and I’d guess I replaced each of those hangers 3 or 4 times over the years I owned that car. I should have bought them by the gross … lol …

Isn’t that what muffler bearings are for ?

GeorgeSanJose: I replaced many of the “rubber band” exhaust system hangers in the mid 1970s. Opels and Audis also used them. It seems the compound was unsuitable for the high heat environment as they “petrified” very quickly.

ken green: For some reason I was actually able to resist making a similar comment.

But I could’t resist . . dealing with the myriad of new and odd part names these day.
Heck . . ‘‘exhaust fluid’’ ? . . who’d-a thunk ?

Other than the above listed ideas…the only other thing I can think of is a baffle in a resonator that has broken free inside. I’ve only run into two of these, but it does happen.

As for those owner fixed ones, I found a muffler held up with baling twine. Well it was held up there, but by the time the truck made it the three miles to me…the twine was burnt through.

Yosemite

Other than the above listed ideas…the only other thing I can think of is a baffle in a resonator that has broken free inside. I’ve only run into two of these, but it does happen.

As for those owner fixed ones, I found a muffler held up with baling twine. Well it was held up there, but by the time the truck made it the three miles to me…the twine was burnt through.

Yosemite

Many many years ago I once put a temporary… very temporary… patch on with a soda can (they used to be think metal back then) and two hose clamps.

For heat shields, the traditional and accepted fix around here is a large worm-drive hose clamp wrapped around the shield and the cat converter body. It works and it’s permanent. The systems now are all stainless steel, and the shields tend to break off at the spot welds (or tack welds).