Distracted Driver's Seat Occupants Are Killing, Injuring, Wrecking Cars Of Some, And Costing Us All!

Warren Buffet’s Geico Insurance company announce it will raise rates because of money lost to distracted “driving”.

The National Safety Council noted that traffic deaths have increased more in one year, from 2014 to 2015, than in any year in the past 50 years, a huge 8% increase.

These so-called “drivers” are causing more frequent and more severe “accidents”.
I’m pretty sure it’s not only Geico that lost money as a result and has to raise rates for its customers. It no doubt raises everybody’s rates.

I do not want to flatter these jerks by calling them drivers. If they were driving they probably wouldn’t crash.
Also, I don’t consider them accidents. Accidents happen by chance.

Accidents are bad enough and car insurance is expensive enough as it is…
What can we do in this country and in each and every state to get these clowns off our streets?

There is no such thing as an accident. Every crash has specific causes from excessive speed, distraction, impairment, poor maintenance to road rage and more. Furthermore, insurance companies only exist as financial organizations intended to make money. Why should they care that you have to pay more?

Raising rates ?
Isn’t that what we’re paying for in the first place ?
Well . . .
as a legal ponzi / pyramid operation I guess we could see that coming.
There’s no way on earth any . . ‘‘insurance’’ . company could afford to pay out to all of its policy holders at any one time.
They are fully dependent on the pyramid. . .money coming in from many, to pay out to only a few.

I don’t remember the figures but insurance money is heavily regulated by the Feds I believe.
Insurance companies are required to pay out a percentage on claims, required to put so much into overhead and so on, so much for a reserve fund, etc, etc.

I get irritated with insurance companies because my rates over the last dozen years have increased greatly even though there are no claims filed. Car and home insurance both have skyrocketed to the tune of 3-400 percent.

Just an addendum but those who remember the Moore, OK tornadoes of a few years ago should also know that people in that area are still wrestling with insurers who balked at paying up.
There have been dozens of lawsuits filed against insurance companies although I do not know the current disposition of those suits.
The commercials on TV make you think you’re in good hands… :frowning:

I don't remember the figures but insurance money is heavily regulated by the Feds I believe.

I wouldn’t doubt that. And states have even more regulations. Those regulations are called protections. And those regulations were brought about because of insurance companies selling insurance policies and then when a major disaster hits…they file bankruptcy…thus screwing out all the people who paid in for decades.

"I get irritated with insurance companies because my rates over the last dozen years have increased greatly even though there are no claims filed. Car and home insurance both have skyrocketed to the tune of 3-400 percent."

Based on my experiences, which are vastly different, I tend to think that differing state regulations may be the reason for differences in insurance charges from one state to another.

In my case, I collected over $8k from my home insurance company as a result of roof damage from Hurricane Sandy. I was fully prepared for a big rate hike the following year, but it didn’t happen. The year after that, they increased my rate by only a little more than 5%. On my most recent renewal, my annual rate did increase again, but it was something on the order of 10%.

With my car insurance, my rate decreased both last year and this year, and I am now paying the least that I ever paid. I chalk this up–partially–to not having had any auto accidents or other claims since 1971, but mostly to the fact that I now drive less than 10k miles per year.