Brick laying machine, we still have streets with brick pavers, do you? This is way cool!

Saw this and thought it was too cool! We still have a few streets left, probably 100 years old made with pavers or cobblestones as you prefer, maybe old school is better?

Yes this machine is very impressive,actually this creates a very nice durable pavement the old way of doing it by hand,takes forever it seems

I love it!
Bricks don’t stay in place in winter weather, however. I’ll guess too that they don’t withstand the lateral forces of turning 30-ton tractor-trailers very well either. Or snow plows.

I’ll bet they’re laying a walkway… ???

Probably laying a walkway,

but could take a pic of brick streets that get plowed like any other street.

And how about this spiked monstor, for clearing streets!

Boston used to have some brick streets long ago, but they got all busted up and were eventually replaced (many years ago) with pavement.

Couldn’t open the spiked monster photo. Sorry.

You know, I’d have never believed it, until I saw it. Great photo, thanks!

@“the same mountainbike” If you do google images and look for winthor snowblower hopefully it will turnip. or you can try this link http://theoldmotor.com/?p=1239

Did you get the brick machine?

Thanks Barky. That one worked.
Yup, a certifiable monster!

They just paved over our brick street this year and I’m still P.O.‘d! I remember how much work laying down a 10’ X 20’ brick paver car park was…I wouldn’t have believed such a machine was possible!

Imagining in my mind Tim Allen " Whoa feel the horsepower, My grandma would have loved this to make coleslaw!
But back to brick streets? Hear ya meanjoe, but most of ours were 3x9 or so. Got bunch and redid the center of our ribbon driveway. Wanted to pull up the narrow curbs, as it trashes tire sidewalls, but wife said no way, can’t disturb the old time character

Wow. I can’t remember the last time I saw a concrete ribbon driveway! I always thought they looked cool. Very 1950ish.

Very, very cool and innovative machine there.

My wife is from the Ponca City, OK area (actually from Uncas but it no longer exists…) and many of the residential and side streets in Ponca are still paved with bricks. They seem to hold up very well considering the beating they take.

@“the same mountainbike” House was built in 1918, planning a 100 year anniversary party! Got a galvanized steel 1 car garage with epicanthus leaves? did put an overhead door instead of the swinging wooden doors but painted the leaves and fake trim vent forest green, along with the roof and the res of the garage white! It was built with angle iron that rusted up from the bottom, did some concrete filler structural band aid? to provide a base and get past the rust.

We still have a lot of brick streets in the older neighborhoods my city. Bricks may not handle the heavier vehicles or large amounts of traffic all that well, but the natural spacing between them means they don’t easily get destroyed by the freeze/thaw cycles in the rust belt. All of the brick streets in my city date from the turn of the last century and most are still in good shape. Asphalt doesn’t hold up nearly as well. In fact, many of the brick streets were paved over with asphalt and when the asphalt wears out and shows the bricks, they are still nice and even and in pretty good condition.

Plus they do look cool :smile:

This looks like a Dutch or Flemish street scene. These streets are vey durable since snow there is not much of an issue nor is frost heave.

I lived on streets like these for most of my childhood and was back there last year. Riding a bike on them is remarkably smooth as well.

Repairs are easy as well.

These streets are usually limited to light vehicles only; the main street of my home town is so narrow that it’s for pedestrians, bikes, and service vehicles only. The bricks are several hundred years old.

LOL, I had to look 'epicanthus" up. Never heard that word before. I’ve learned a new word today.

In my village, a few years ago, they built some new streets. First, they laid down sand, then manually put down bricks. Labor is less than $20 a day so manual isn’t that expensive. But, recent work has been concrete,

The problem with brick is plants grow up in the inherent cracks, and their roots can cause problems. At least the way they do it here.

Or, they just pour concrete…then stamp and dye it to resemble bricks.

@irlandes I spent some time in San Miguel de Allende which is a UNESCO heritage site. They told me the city wanted to remove the cobblestones but were not allowed to since it would destroy the heritage character.

My wife says these cobblestone streets are hard to walk on in high heels.

I remember brick streets on some of the downtown areas as a kid but not anymore. Some of them were just paved over but I think when they did major sewer work they were all torn up. In Columbus, OH a couple months ago, had to take a detour on the back streets and ran into a brick street yet and they have them for the historical German Village. Really though they are hard to walk on and need to slow down if you are driving on them. Can’t imagine what its like to ride a bike on them. Pretty common in Europe though.