Puzzler about which side of the car the gas cap is on

You have to decide which side the gas cap is on, and you only can observe the back side of the car. The answer given by the puzzler is to look which side the tailpipe is on, then the gas cap is on the other side. I got to wondering if today you even need to look at the tailpipe. First of all, for some reason a lot of cars these days have tailpipes on both sides. In taking some neighborhood walks I decided I could almost always tell just by noting the manufacturer of the car

• European cars have it on the right
  • Japanese cars have it on the left
  • American branded cars have it on the left, except for Ford, which seems to have it on the right

What do you think? Is my “just look at the brand” algorithm is as good as the “look at the tail pipe” version?

Isn’t this icon and arrow

on all late model cars?

* Japanese cars have it on the left

Well that’s NOT right.

Our Toyota’s…gas cap is on left…My son’s Mazda - it’s on the right.

Nope George. Our two Fords have it on the left, our Subaru on the right.

As far as I know, all Subarus have the gas cap on the right side of the vehicle.

Typically, a car manufactured in Japan will have it on the right, since that model was designed as a right hand drive vehicle. Japanese cars made in North America have been redesigned (justified by volume) and have them on the same side as the driver.

Our Japanese made Mazda 3 has it on the right, but newer model Mazda3s to be made in Mexico will likely have them on the driver’s side.

There will be exceptions of course.

"Japanese cars made in North America have been redesigned (justified by volume) and have them on the same side as the driver."

All Outbacks and Legacy sedans sold in North America are manufactured in Lafayette, Indiana, and they have the gas filler on the right side, just like the Impreza and Forester models that are made in Ota Gunma, Japan.

Our Japanese made Mazda 3 has it on the right, but newer model Mazda3s to be made in Mexico will likely have them on the driver's side.

Wifes first 87 Accord was made in Japan. Her 96 Accord was made in the US. Her current 07 Lexus were made in Japan…Gas cap on left for all 3 vehicles.

My 90 Pathfinder - Japan, 98 Pathfinder - US, 05 4runner - US…14 Highlander - all on the Left.

I don’t think there’s any rule that can answer where the gas cap is.

No “rule” really works. 2 with dual exhaust… Honda built in Japan - left, Ford - left, European car with single exhaust - right, GM SUV single exhaust - left. Always an exception in every “rule”.

I have ONLY seen the little arrow on the fuel gauge on 2 of our Fords starting with the 93 SHO Taurus. Smartest feature ever, costing nothing!

Subaru and Mazda have it on the right? Subaru’s not very common here in SJ, but Mazda’s are. I’ll check it out next time I see a Mazda and report back what I find.

Subu are definitely on the right. At least my 15 Forester is.

The only vehicle I need to know about where the filler is the one I am driving , the rest I do not care.

Remembering my old car, pull down the license plate, gas fill in the middle, that is a thing of the past.

I remember when many US made cars was neither. Gas cap was centered behind the license plate. 3 Mazdas. 1981 RX-7 left, 1996 MX-5 Miata left, 1991 RX-7 right. I think it is mostly random.

“I remember when many US made cars was neither. Gas cap was centered behind the license plate.”

Yup! Right where it was least logical to place it, in view of what happened in rear-end collisions.

Safety aspects aside, back in my gas station attendant days I used to hate having to fill cars with these very low-placed gas fillers. The fill pipe was so close to horizontal that you had to trickle the gas into the tank, and after having to either kneel down on the oily pavement or bend down for those badly-placed gas fillers at least 100 times per day, I would really dread having to see another one of them.

“I remember when many US made cars was neither. Gas cap was centered behind the license plate.”

I believe our 76 Toronado and 74 Omega had caps behind the license plates. Another problem with this was the dirt! Being low and at the rear-end, driving on a gravel road, especially in wet weather, would create quite a messy plate and cap.

CSA

I seem to recall some taxicabs that had been modified to have a gas cap in the center above the rear bumper. Have no idea why.

All my Toyota’s have had left hand gas caps. My 2012 Mazda3 had a right hand cap and my 2014 Mazda6 has a left hand gas cap.

My 79 has one on EACH side. So , no matter which way I pull in I have to stretch the hose over. BUT…an awful lot of newer gas stations don’t have enough hose to do that !

( btw, both Fords have driver’s side fillers )

ken, your car has TWO gas caps? that is strange…

With one on each side, why would you have to stretch the hose?