Hypocritical bumper stickers

I just saw a BMW plastered with anti-fur and anti-meat bumper stickers. Some of the stickers clearly had the word “Vegan” also. I have no problem if somebody is against fur, or doesn’t eat meat

Myself, I am not a vegan or vegetarian

Anyways, here’s the clincher . . .

The BMW had a leather interior

I’d lay odds it was a real leather interior, and not “faux leather”

Have you guys seen any similar hypocritical bumper stickers?

Well, I saw an anti-GOP bumper sticker right next to a “coexist” bumper sticker once.

And odds are the shoes they’re wearing, the belt, the wallet or handbag, etc is also made of leather.
Odds are that BMW was in the drive-through at McDonalds later that day…

While the stickers were not really hypocritical, I would say the owner of an early 90s Subaru that runs around here is. The entire rear of that car is plastered with Greenpeace, Save The Whales, Protect the Rainforest, Demand Clean Air Now, I Heart Mother Earth stickers.
The car belches blue oil smoke out in clouds and when they come to a stop the cloud rolls forward and envelops the car.

“The car belches blue oil smoke out in clouds and when they come to a stop the cloud rolls forward and envelops the car”

Ah, yes . . . the old “disappearing car trick”

:naughty:

While it’s ironic, rather than hypocritical, I do occasionally see old, totally rusted-out US-made cars bearing a bumper sticker that says Buy American.

Because of what it is attached to, that bumper sticker is not exactly a good advertisement for American iron, and, if the last time that somebody bought a car was during the Carter Administration, they are not really doing much to support American industry.

My next example isn’t of a bumper sticker, but it’s still a sticker

In our fleet, we have many vehicles that use a light bar

Anyways, one of our excellent vehicle operators tore off his lightbar, because he tried to go somewhere he didn’t belong. Meaning the vehicle was too high, and he tried to enter a parking structure that woudn’t properly accomodate it

He threw the light bar into the van and I got to work on it

I realized the wiring and lightbar itself was badly mangled, so it would be easier to just get and install a new lightbar kit

We easily determined the proper model number, serial number, color of the lenses, configuration, etc. and placed our order

When it showed up, there was a very prominent that stated “Proudly assembled in the USA by union workers”

The lightbar was wired wrong, and many of the lights were also configured wrong. The take down lights were facing towards the back . . .

I got things sorted out, eventually

Naturally, i removed that sticker, because I felt it didn’t really deserve to be there, after all

Maybe somebody at the factory was having a bad day. Might have been built on a Monday or Friday

:frowning:

I remember seeing a Chevy Suburban plastered with every sort of green and ecology bumper sticker imaginable driven by someone who tailgated, accelerated to the next car and then braked hard, and again and again as it weaved through the cars going the speed limit on I-35. This vehicle should have had a “I survived cash for clunkers” sticker on it.
I dunno, maybe some people just aren’t clear on the concept.

I dunno, what global-warming stickers does you-know-who have on his Gulfstream?

Maybe that Suburban driver had a similar “Do as I say, not as I do” attitude.

There are a lot of fanatics looking for a good cause.

I saw about five pounds of stickers on a car. The only one missing was “fix some of these lights”. Half of them didn’t work.

Years ago the wife of the president of a local shoe manufacturer drove her IMPORTED Toyota around town with a Buy American sticker on the bumper.

I see a lot of fairly new rusted out Ford pickups with " Built Ford Tough" stickers on them. I always get a chuckle out of that.

@Docnick

“IMPORTED Toyota”

No offense intended . . . but are you quite sure?

My Camry . . . and many other Toyotas . . . were built in the USA, presumably by American workers

If it was one of those, it’s not a lie, anyways

On that same note, perhaps drivers of Ford Fusion . . . built in Mexico . . . should not have a “buy American” bumper sticker

Which of those two examples is American, and which isn’t?

Both . . . ?

Neither . . . ?

:fearful:

@db4690 Yes, quite sure. In 1974 all Toyotas were imported, and the shoe industry was just being attacked by imports. In my area 3 shoe factories closed over a 10 year period. There were campaigns underway to save jobs, mostly initiated by the unions. But the manufacturers as well appealed to peoples patriotism to buy local.

I fully agree with you that TODAY it’s nearly impossible to identify the origin and exact content of a car.
A friend drove a company Crown Victoria when they were last in production. Not only was the car assembled in Canada, but so many components were sourced outside North America (Spain, etc) that Ford was able to show it was an “import”!

Personally I don’t care where the car is made as long as it’s good and I can get service.

I would prefer an American made automobile but there aren’t many models that suit my needs and preferences while offering reasonable reliability. For now I keep driving my 25 year old U.S. made trucks and considering replacing the big Ford with a newer Toyota or Isuzu. I have looked at all the new models and the domestics seem to be in a competition to build the most outrageously large and luxurious and expensive models for the self-indulgent buyer who finances it for 7 years and must finance the insurance and buy the first tank of gas on a credit card. I want to outlive the note on my ride.

When I.was. in high school, my parents had cars older than the cars my friends’ parents owned. Most of the time I drove the older of the two cars which was a Dodge coupe with the “lift and clunk” semi automatic transmission… That Dodge had the flathead 6 engiine and my friends made fun of the car and called it the “Turtle”. I put a bumper sticker on the car that read " DON’T LAUGH. IT’S PAID FOR". The car became,quite popular and I had girls ask to go for a ride in the Turtle.

Some of the stickers clearly had the word "Vegan" also.

I know some people who are Vegan’s because of dietary restrictions…so there in some cases driving a BMW and being a Vegan are not mutually exclusive.

Years ago the wife of the president of a local shoe manufacturer drove her IMPORTED Toyota around town with a Buy American sticker on the bumper.

The Toyota probably had more American parts and American workers building her Toyota then many GM/Ford and Chryco vehicles.

You can talk to Lee Iacocca about the buy American slogan. During that particular campaign from Lee Iocca…my brother-in-law was installing new robots on the manufacturing floor of the Chryco plant he was plant manager of. The robots were made in Korea.

Calling the US “America” is technically incorrect although in common usage. Cars made in Mexico and Canada are also American cars. Mexico and Canada are no less in North America than is the US.

^
Thank you!
I’ve been saying this for years, but most people just give me a dumb look when I mention this reality.