What is that big thing on my engine?

2015 Jeep Cherokee has a thing on top of engine that looks like a big hat. Is that just for looks or to cut down engine noise or what. And how does it come off.

For looks and noise reduction. You’ll have to see how to get it off, some snap off, sometimes you need to remove something, like the filler cap. It varies.

Another function is to keep dirt and dust from settling down on the top of the engine.

Some of the engine covers are quite attractive plus in my case it makes cleaning the engine compartment a little easier. Elly do you want to remove the cover or just want to know how?

Most cars look much better with them on, a rat’s maze of wires and hoses underneath…

Its a roof for the mice that can hide on your engine and chew your wires. ( :

It’s a lot easier to put a cover over it and hide it than to clean up all the spaghetti on top of the engine…If you saw where the spark plugs were and asked how much it would cost to replace them, you would have never bought the car…

Here in Silicon Valley the engineers will sometimes design a cover-like gadget to install over the circuit boards. The reason is to discourage curiosity-driven tampering by the customer. Saves on field service calls. I suspect the vehicle manufactures have that as at least one of the objectives for the cover.

The engine covers on full custom cars and the hidden wiring can be absolutely stunning.

I HATE the philosophy behind engine covers.

Back in the day, car manufacturers, and car owners, were PROUD of the mechanical bits of their vehicles, the technology embodied therein, and went through pains to DISPLAY that four-barrel, cowl induction, what have you–to anybody who cared to open the hood, or sometimes even those who didn’t open it.

Somewhere along the way, though, it seems the automakers became ASHAMED of the innermost workings of an ICE. Did they get kowtowed by eco freaks? Dunno, but (between engine covers, inaudible exhaust notes) it’s pretty clear they’d just as soon have you think that Harry Potter waves a magic wand over your car in order for it to move!

It’s truly a shame–a proper ICE is an awe-inspiring sight: a Pratt and Whitney radial on a DC-3; a Harley V-twin; a BMW flat twin, or a SBC! Why pay all that money designing a modern engine, and not be proud enough of it to show it off??

IMHO engines stopped being aesthetically pleasing when they turned them sideways and stuffed 'em between strut assembly towers then shortened the engine compartments to only what was absolutely necessary in order to gain as much legroom as possible from ever-shrinking unibodies.

But, in truth, engines now are far more long lasting, require much less TLC, are much more powerful per C.I (or liter if you prefer), and use the energy contained in the gas much more effectively. And a transverse engineed FWD setup is much lighter overall than a longitudinally mounted engine with a bellhousing and tranny bolted on the back and a driveshaft with a big differential and two long solid axles tacked on the end. And the hump in the cabin is smaller.

The eye loves symmetry. It’s impossible to get it with a transverse FWD design and everything stuffed into a little hole.

But… the OP’s Jeep motor IS longitudinal! And a quick search showed me that what that lump on top is depends on what model and engine you have. It could be a shroud, it could also be the intake manifold! Can you provide more detail on what model and engine you have?

The engine covers on my Lincolns get removed and thrown into a pile. They’re an aggravation to remove for any servicing and as typical with Ford recycled milk carton plastic; a number of attachment tabs snap off either when gently removing the covers or they give up on their own due to heat and vibration.

A lot of motorcycles are even having their engines covered up in the name of styling. It’s easier to call AAA when something goes wrong rather than sit on the side of the road and disassemble a small mountain of trim which is going to lead to a dead end more than likely anyway.

The cover on my tC requires only the removal of two 10mm acorn nuts. I leave it on for the (admittedly probably minimal) sound mitigation it provides.

Who likes racket?But admittedly,the tires also generate a tremendous amount of racket.

Don’t look behind that curtain.

TSMB - nope, the new Cherokee is traverse:

The base model is front-wheel drive.

The engine covers on my 4runner and highlander are simple plastic covers that come off easily.

But the cover on my wifes Lexus…what a fricking pain. The engine bay is completely covered with a multi-part cover and about 25 of these little buttons to hold it down. You have to remove have the engine cover just to change the air filter.

Depends on the submodel and engine.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2015%20jeep%20cherokee%20engine%20images&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=2015%20jeep%20cherokee%20engine%20images&sc=0-27&sp=-1&sk=

Most of those images are labeled “Grand Cherokee”. The Grand Cherokee has a longitude engine placement, the Cherokee has a transverse engine.

Unless you’re in the know, you probably don’t know all the reasons for them. And the reasons could easily vary between cars. The butter knife approach could be wrong. Reminds me of the early days of air dams. Ignorant owners tore them off and cursed the useless plastic shrouds on the underside of the car. Then their engines started overheating and they blamed the lousy quality of their new(er) car.

Who knows, they probably serve more than one purpose; audible noise reduction in some (see the insulation on the underside?), protection, aesthetics and perhaps even some amount of air flow control due to the fact the engine is wedged into such a tight space. Without knowing the details, it’s easy to discount them as simply superfluous. Most car engineering is so refined now, they usually do not include something that costs money and is not value added…