Will 80PSI in a 35PSI Tire cause permanent damage

I was changing over the winter tires to summer tires on our work fleet cargo vans. The first two vans were a 2011 Ford E-250 and a Chevrolet Express 2500. Both of their tires listed 60PSI in the front and 80PSI in the back.

I continued to change the tires on our Chevrolet Express 1500 and without checking the recommended inflation on the plate on the inside of the door, I assumed it was the same. I inflated the rear tires to 80PSI and after checking once I was done, the recommended pressure is 35PSI!.. I didn’t drive anywhere before noticing this, but it sat with 80PSI in the tires for about 20 mins.

Could this have caused permanent damage?

That’s pretty high… You’re probably okay if it was only a short while and the vehicle wasn’t driven, but I’d monitor the tires for any kind of vibration or other unusual behavior that might indicate you’ve damaged the belts.

probably not

I would think it would separate from the rim before it damages the tire. No damage what so ever. The force when hitting a pothole would be greater on the tire at impact then just adding 80 lbs of air pressure.

If it didn’t blow and break you arm, I’m sure you’re OK. I think tire shops regularly hit 60-80# when they are getting the tire beads to set. Of course its only momentary and they leave the valve core out.

It would have enlarged the tire if you had driven and warmed it up. That would have damaged the tire but it may be OK.

Please dont do it again an exploding tire can be fatal

I wholeheartedly agree with Bing on this. Tires are routinely overinflated during mounting to “seat” the bead. It’s a necessary part of the process. If you had driven the truck like that you might have caused internal damage, but you didn’t. You should be fine.

No one has asked the obvious question. What’s the maximum pressure listed on the tire?

lion9car: he stated: “Both of their tires listed 60PSI in the front and 80PSI in the back”. So he inflated them to the max rated.

It was a little unclear whether it was the plate or the tire that said 35#.

I sure don’t like going to 60#. Both my trailer tires and bike tires are supposed to be at 60#. It’ll really make your heart flutter when one blows with that kind of pressure in it.

You should read “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” by Hunter Thompson. In one scene the main character and his attorney rent a Cadillac convertible. They both get stoned and drive to a service station where they pump the tires to 80 psi. The attendant is really worried, but they tell him that tbese are experimental tires. They then peoceed to drive around Las Vegas and comment about how the increased pressure belps the handling of the Cadillac. You didn’t hurt the tires at all.

When a tire is extremely over inflated and strikes a sharp edge such as the pavement around a pot hole the chance of damaging the body plies is significantly greater. I have seen tires over inflated until they failed and all failed at the bead.

I’m with Lion on this one…What’s important here is the load rating of the tire, not the door sticker…80PSI would be pretty scary in a “Standard load” tire. Now truck tires with C, D, E load ranges could better take that abuse…

You should read “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” by Hunter Thompson.

Really? Hunter S. Thompson on tire and suspension issues? What’s next? Jack Kerouac on engine rebuilding? Timothy Leary and transmissions?

Good book though.

He stated that the 250 series and 2500 series vehicle listed those high pressures which would be wrong for the 1500 series which does not have the high pressure tires. So he did overinflate the tires on the half ton van.

250 and 2500 series vehicles are 3/4 ton, which typically use load range E tires

If they have single rear wheels, and not duallys, a typical setup is 50 front, 80 rear. 60 front, 80 rear is also common

But 80 in the front would definitely be too much

A lot has changed since the days of that book, which I haven’t read

There are some 1500 series vehicles nowadays, which use load range E tires. That said, the GVWR sometimes says a different story. Even though it’s labeled 1500, the GVWR says 8600 lbs and it uses 8 bolt rims. Factory setup. I’m not sure how a manufacturer can legally call a vehicle 1/2 ton, when for all intents it’s really 3/4 ton

I will assume when that book came out, all vehicles labeled 1500 had 5 bolt rims . . . ?

The burst pressure of a tire is many times the max pressure listed on the sidewall. This has to do with durability and what is called “fatigue”, in engineering terms.

So even a 35 psi tire can withstand 80 psi, provided it is a one time event - BUT - do NOT operate those kinds of tires at that pressure.

As long as the tire remained mounted and was not driven, there is no damage to the tire. A tire carcass in a modern car takes much more stress then this under load, heated and hitting a pothole.

Both my trailer tires and bike tires are supposed to be at 60#

PSI for the tires on my popup is 80#.
PSI for my old 10-speed Trek is 90#. Those skinny tires need a lot of pressure to hold up the weight of the bike and a 200lb+ person.