Bad Wheel Bearing or not?

I “think” I may have a bad wheel bearing. Problem is, which one is it? The code reader I own does not read for ABS. The noise appears around 30 mph. It increased slightly, at higher speeds. I tried jacking each side of the truck up and checking for play and noise. There is no play. The only thing I can say is that the passenger side wheel seems heavy to spin. But spins. The drivers side wheel spins slightly more free, but has a faint sound like the brake shoe is touching the rotor. I drove it and tried turning left and right. The noise does not seem to get worse or better when turning either direction. I called my local Auto Zone, and they only told me to do what I have already done. So I am at a loss. What else can I do? My Blazer is a 2000, 4X4, Automatic.

Does not sound like a typical wheel bearing. Do yuo feel the vibration in the steering wheel? Does it go away if you shift to neutral?

I don’t feel any vibration at all @Barkydog

Drive it beside a building with big flat wall, drivers side first and then passengers side. Which side makes noise? Can’t tell? Get a buddy. Drive past him on each side. Ask him which makes more noise. If you still can’t tell. Wait a few more miles, it WILL get worse and then you’ll be able to tell.

I think it is best to change the wheel bearings in pairs anyway. If you are sure it is the bearing, start from one side and see what happens.

I had a scenario with my (RIP) Caravan. A few mechs thought it is the final drive/diff that is getting noisy. One wasn’t sure. So I changed one bearing and the noise was 60% better and then the car started pulling too; so the next one was gone 30 minutes later.

Noise never changes? Does not sound like s wheel bearing.

One wheel is tight? Might be a locked caliper

Not a noise that fills me with happiness. Time for a pro look at it.

So I tried your suggestion @Mustangman . It was decided it was the passenger side wheel. Which is the wheel that also seems to be a bit tight @meaneyedcatz . The noise grows from around 25 mph up to around 45 where it levels off. However, I would think the truck would pull to the side if it were not working. Especially under a hard breaking situation. And it does not. At least that has been my experience. Any other suggestions?

I’ve never heard of a noisy wheel bearing causing a pull. Have you felt the hubs after a drive for a hot one? BTW, there are two wheels on each side…be more specific.

If it is a wheel bearing, they tend to degrade pretty quickly once they reach this point. The best option is probably just to wait and see if it gets noticeably worse or not.

In the meantime, check your engine oil level, transmission fulid level, differential fluid level, and check for any signs of abnormal driveline play.

Noise may be caused by the brake wear indicator. That is the first thing to check.

@Blue Blazer I agree with @meaneyedcatz you probably won’t feel a pull under braking or any other time until it gets really bad. Smoking down the highway bad.

This truck has the modular bearing assembly with the built-in ABS ring. RockAuto has them for about $50. It likely has nearly welded itself to the knuckle with rust over the 15 years its been in there so use lots of penetrating oil. Surf YouTube for tricks to get it out of there. One YouTube vid posted on a thread here showing a guy using a thick chunk of all-thread to push against the knuckle and the hub flange to press the bearing out.

Replace the pair, like @galant suggests, if you have the money because the other likely isn’t too far behind or at least plan for it in the near future.

I’ll note that we still don’t know what this noise sounds like. OP, can you describe it for us?