Need advice for a car to tow a 6'x12' U-Haul trailer

I’m towing a trailer from NY to Colorado and am wondering what the most economical car is for the trip.

Based on research it looks like the Ford Expedition is a good choice but it’s hard to find at places like Hertz. Hertz recommends a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Chevy Equinox and I’m not sure if they are fit for the job. I’m worried that the jeep will only get about 12 miles a gallon and that it will get very costly for the 1,700 mile trip.

Any recommendations on a car or place to get that car would be fantastic.

Any vehicle that can tow that trailer (loaded, I’d assume) across country won’t be getting good mpgs. No way an Equinox could do that. A Grand Cherokee, maybe, if it has a tow package. What’s the combined weight of the trailer and contents?

Wil the trailer be loaded with heavy items, does the trailer have electric brakes? If so, you’ll need a vehicle that has a trailer brake actuator

I am not recommending PODS but name them because the name is well known. That said firms like that will set a container at your home, you load it and they will pick it up a deliver it where ever you want it. No driving on your part. You can even get a quote on line. Even freight lines have service like this.

A truck rated at 3/4 ton or higher would be the minimum for handling that much trailer and 12 mpg is doubtful.

The trailer alone weighs about 2000 lbs, loaded max total is supposed to be 4400 lbs, has ‘automatic hydraulic surge brakes’.

I’d rent a box truck before renting both a car and trailer.

Ii agree 100% with Lion. You’ll be a lot safer and have fewer worries.

My vote is also for renting a truck or using PODS. The latter is less aggravation and safer also as it removes the risk of piloting and stopping a heavy load by someone inexperienced with towing.

Any kind of pulling rig with a loaded down trailer is going to suffer a bit with the fuel economy so that’s an issue that you will not get away from no matter the vehicle.

You need to give us a close estimate of the weight that will be evolved. It may be Benefitial to rent the box truck as mentioned. It certainly would be safer if you have less experience towing. If you goal is to trying to get good mileage, it will never happen. Larger trucks will handle heavy weights more economically then small cars that will be working hard. You need to find the right vehicle for the job…for that, you need to know the weight. A rental agency can then give you best suggestions like UHaul

You will be very hard pressed to find a car rental company that will allow you to tow 4400 lbs behind one of their vehicles. You’d have to rent one with a 5000 lb hitch AND trailer light hookups. U-Haul may have an issue with a rental car pulling one of their trailers as may your insurance company. Will it cover BOTH the car and trailer AND your stuff?

The 1700 miles will cost you about $450 in gas and it will take you about 38 hours since you can’t tow the trailer over 55 mph (speed rating of the trailer tires) meaning 2 nights at a hotel and 3 days of food, say $300. Plus the 4 day, one way car rental and trailer, I’d guess you’ve got $800 or more for the truck plus $558 for the trailer you are into this for $2108 at least. Call a mover, call PODS or one of its competitors.

Your first time towing should NOT be this! A second best is as @ok4450 suggests, rent a truck, a small one. A van cut-away chassis drives somewhat like a big SUV and is huge inside.

You need to rent a “truck” for this job. Either way…forget about mpg and get the move done safely.

I tow my 16’ cargo traile that loaded pretty heavy with my F150 Ecoboost with tow package and heavy duty payload. I have an 8’ bed, so I’m 40’ long. I can’t tell the trailer is even behind me. I get around 12-14mpg towing it at 70-75mph. That being said, you probably should do as suggested above, if you have no experience towing. Either POD or box truck

I concur with those that can’t answer the question without ‘‘more input’’.
What is in the trailer ?
I towed all my band gear ( country rock band ) with my 92 Explorer all over the four corners for years. That’s about as heavy as a load of household belongings and it was sufficient for all those years ( except for one brake fade episode that was quite scary, but learning from that, adjusted my towing speed and stopping distance practices for a succesful 16 year run of towing with that 92 )

Yep, rent a truck and forget the trailer. Why are we so fixated on the cost of gas?

"Why are we so fixated on the cost of gas? "

Because we’ve been fixated on them for so long. Old habits are hard to break. Besides, gas isn’t gonna stay this cheap forever.

Are you towing to the eastern part of the state, the front range, or western slope of Colorado?

A half ton truck, or even a Grand Cherokee V-8 or Durango with a receiver hitch will handle that trailer just fine as long as it has its own brakes. I tow a 20’ enclosed trailer with a 5.7L 2000 Chevy.

That said, I think I’d go with a rental box truck given your lack of experience towing.

Will Hertz, Avis, or any other rental car company rent a vehicle that’s knowingly going to be used for towing? I’ve never tried it.