Newer Gas Cans -are they all as usless as they seem?

Last yeat I bought 3 used 5gal gas cans. They are the newer style plastic cans made by Blitz with no vent and trigger style nozzles.

The nozzles will only flow with the trigger depressed, you are then supposed to be able to lock them open. You can’t I have some old style nozzles but since there is no tank vent it would take forever to empty the can.

Anyone found a self venting nozzle that works?

In case anyone is wondering why I am using gas cans, the local supermarket where my wife shops has a gas points for buying groceries and I usually get $.60 to $1.10 a gallom off. You can buy 30 gallons at a time and my low fuel light comes on at 13 gal.of a 17 gal. tank.

So far the only solution I have found is a large smooth transmission funnel that has an end that is way too large to fit any current transmission dipstick hole., take the cas can nozzle off and pour.

You could convert them back to vented cans:

I have a 2.5 gallon can and I removed the spring and all I have to do is position the collar right and press and pour.

Yes…they are worse than useless. I bought a new gas can last year and ripped the guts out of nozzle after fiddling with it for a few minutes. I hate things that don’t work.

Great example of regulation that makes the product LESS safe than it was before AND harder to use. I have one small gas jug with this feature. Dumb, just dumb. I’ve spilled more gas with this than any gas can I’ve had before.

I haven’t set myself on fire nor dumped gas on the ground in 4-5 decades of pouring fuel in everything from weed whackers to race cars with the “un-safe” technology. I’m not sure why I need to be “protected” now.

@Insightful,been there and have done that-works great

Great example of regulation that makes the product LESS safe than it was before AND harder to use. I have one small gas jug with this feature. Dumb, just dumb. I've spilled more gas with this than any gas can I've had before.

Can’t agree more. I’ve spilled more gas with those damn gas cans.

I also agree. This is yet another example of a regulatory agency out of control doing more harm than good. Nobody can use these new gas cans without spilling gas all over.

I’ve got 5 gas containers of varying sizes. One is an old “normal” style which is not a problem. The other 4 are, or were, the modern save the environment type that leads to cursing, fumbling around, and sloshing gasoline all over the place. The modern 4 now have gutted safety mechanism which actually make them useable without running the blood pressure up…

What I think would be a hoot would be to drag some of the bureaucrats behind this kind thing out from their paneled offices and have them put on a public display of gas container use while the news cameras are rolling.

It would likely end up much like the rear steering motorcycle some decades ago after government officials unveiled it for the press. The pro rider could go no further than 10 feet before falling over… :wink:

They wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the “safety” interlock that seems to require a LOT more force to operate than should be necessary. I don’t mind the ‘trigger’ to release the gas–I usually position the can then squeeze the trigger (slowly) to fill whatever. When full, I ease off the trigger to stop flow before tipping the can back upright. Normally I can fill without spilling. Though I’d agree the old-style vented cans are a lot less hassle.

I suppose the whole non-vented thing is to prevent gas vapors polluting the air. With no vent though on a warm day, my gas can is usually bloated like a sausage until I release the pressure before pouring. Which seems like it defeats the purpose.

I’ll keep my old gas can with its built-in ashtray.

The Blitz Company, once the largest employer in Miami Oklahoma, has been put out of business by a series of lawsuits that culminated in the locking spouts that were their last attempt to stay afloat. It seems the idiot portion of the public could not be dissuaded from pouring gas onto already burning items. One the flame climbed up the gas stream, the container would blow up. I don’t know how the locking spout was supposed to help.

Me? I have several antique jerry cans.

But @Triedaq, I thought Mrs. T made you sell the Cutlass.

Thanks insightful, I just bought 20 replacement vents on ebay.

I did the easy pour conversion. Works like a charm.

I use the water can replacements from tractor supply.

Now… how do we get rid of the lawyers???

Me and a Menards guy tried to figure out how those new fangled cans work. We both gave up. Went to a yard sale run by sisters of whoever, $5 for a new can, sure a tad overpriced, but stuff that works.

The Blitz gas can company closing made a lot of the evening news spots here in OK and while it’s devastating for the community and the people who lost their jobs I can understand why they did say enough is enough. They were deluged in lawsuits because of people who were not intelligent enough to even be nominated for Darwin Awards.

How stupid does someone (and there were a bunch of someones…) have to be to dump raw gasoline onto a burning BBQ grill or into a fireplace?

Just a couple of years ago here in OK some idiot burned his home down after leaving a pan of gasoline on top of his kitchen stove. He turned on a burner and voila; wiped out home.

On a vaguely similar note, a few years ago some lady in OK City set off a number of bug bombs in her home and left for a while. Similar to a car owners manual, the bug bomb instructions were not read either.
The ensuing explosion due to the A/C cycling on blew out almost every door and window in the house, dropped sheet rock from the ceilings, knocked kitchen cabinets loose, and blew the 16’ garage door clean off its tracks and out into the driveway.

I tried once and gave up. I picked up an old style can at a fleamarket instead. It was new, but not modern.