Does this charge seem reasonable?

2000 Silverado 2500: To replace a bad fuel pump, the tank is almost full requiring emptying and filling, $790.00?

Like I said, most of my fuel pumps were north of $1000 after all is said and done. You need the quality pump, plus the harness and maybe sending unit. Plus the relays should be changed out.

Very fair

The shop is probably charging you $300 for the pump and maybe the filter

Chilton labor times is between 3 and 4 hours labor, depending on what fuel tank size, driveshaft type, etc.

Depending on the shop, labor might be $100 per billed hour

Add tax and miscellaneous (such as the updated fuel tank harness, which was already mentioned), and $790 sounds very fair

Yes, seems fair, perhaps even a little on the low side depending on what brand parts are used.

Thanks. I appreciate the knowledgeable response and the consensus.

Things would be a lot, lot simpler and cheaper if access plates were part of every car. SAAB has used them since the 70s and a fuel pump swap is 10 minutes; less if you hustle.

That’s one reason I modded my Lincoln Mark. I cut a hole (VERY carefully I might add) and made a cover plate along with a pigtail wire extension for the pump.
In the event a pump dies on the road somewhere it’s about a 10-15 minute swap including removal of the rear seat time. No more dropping the exhaust system, driveshaft, and tank or wrestling with draining the tank, etc.

markg2
…tank is almost full requiring emptying and filling…

You mean they charged you for fuel? They couldn’t store it and then refill?

Charged the labor to put back in.

@auto-owner a smart mechanic will not try to remove a full truck fuel tank, because it is very long and heavy, especially if it’s stamped steel

By siphoning out some/most of the fuel ahead of time, it makes it much easier to remove and reinstall the tank. With little or no fuel sloshing around, it’s a whole different story. Of course, after the tank is reinstalled, that fuel goes back in

And if he completely empties the tank, he can remove the tank from the jack all by himself, when he wants to put it on the bench or the floor, for pump replacement

Trying to remove a fuel tank with only 3 or gallons in it can be a bit of wrestling match; much less one that is near full.
Figure gasoline at a bit over 6 pounds per gallon and assume say 15 gallons in the tank. That’s a lot of sloshing, and dangerous, weight to juggle around.

Think about a dropped tank of gasoline sloshing all over and a microscopic spark as the tank strikes the concrete floor.