Temporary move and car registration

Hey guys!
I have read on the site but couldnt find the proper answer for my situation.
I am live in CO and have my drivers license here . I share a car with my friend so im on her insurance as a second driver. I do not owe a car myself.
In a few months i will be moving to NY for a job so i will buy a car there. So far it will be a temporary move (6 months or so) but could be pushed out longer.
How and where will i have to register my car? NY or CO? Legally my residence is CO.
What about a car insurance under my name this time?

Thanks so much for your help on this!

Hey guys!
I have read on the site but couldnt find the proper answer for my situation.
I am live in CO and have my drivers license here . I share a car with my friend so im on her insurance as a second driver. I do not owe a car myself.
In a few months i will be moving to NY for a job so i will buy a car there. So far it will be a temporary move (6 months or so) but could be pushed out longer.
How and where will i have to register my car? NY or CO? Legally my residence is CO.
What about a car insurance under my name this time?

Thanks so much for your help on this!

Hope you’re not going to New York City and planning to buy a car! Big mistake. But New York State is a big place. You register it where you are using it, in this case, New York. And you buy insurance there, with your address where you are living, in New York. When you move again you change the registration and tell the insurance company.

Our daughter moved back from Manhattan after living there for about 7 years. She is glad that she sold her car before moving there. It costs hundreds per month just have a space where you can park your car until you need it again. Public transportation is so well established that no one really needs a car. Also if you need a car for a day, there are programs where people lend out their car for a fee that is much less than renting a car.

Yosemite

I don’t get it. Why the heck do people ask these question of strangers on the internet rather than go directly to the respective Departments of Motor Vehicles (or whatever the involved states call their regulatory agencies)?

Because they are lazy.

Most states require that you transfer your driver’s license to thier state within 30 days of moving there. Since you will be in NY for 6 months, NY will be your state of residence for that period, not CO. If it were less than 30 days, you could legally still claim CO, but not 6 months.

Actually, NY state defines residency as 90 days. If your intention is to stay longer than 90 days, you must exchange your CO license within 30 days of moving there. See here- http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/exchange-out-state-driver-license

Your car will have to be registered, inspected and insured in NY State. You will need the insurance form to get plates, then you can get a 10 day permit at registration to get the car inspected. Chose your inspection station carefully, I use an oil change shop that doesn’t do any repairs but lights or wiper blades because they don’t have much incentive to fail your car.

The inspectuin is $21 in upstate NY, do not use any coupons to lower the price. The places that offer them, use them to get you in the door and will recommend a lot of unnecessary treatments or repairs.

Thank you all for the very helpful answers!!!
And to answer the one question - no im not lazy i checked the dmv websites ny & co and read carefully but couldnt find the answer for my situation … Calling them would be impossible and long waiting time…and here i trust people are intelligent and will HELP on such issue.

“Calling them would be impossible and long waiting time…and here i trust people are intelligent and will HELP on such issue.”

The problem with asking anonymous strangers a question via the internet is that they could well be providing incorrect information.

The person providing incorrect information (whether from simple ignorance or as a result of some unknown agenda) will not suffer any legal consequences from his act, but the person who heeds that bad advice could wind up in a whole lot of legal hot water. That is why “the same mountainbike” (and I) don’t understand why somebody would seek advice in this manner.

I understand and you make a perfectly good point here.
Regardless, thank you for the message on this.
I guess there is some laziness involved knowing i will get a faster answer online and get a quick idea on what to
do then.
Ultimately I still have to go to the DMV & It is indeed the most reliable source of information when it comes to cars and registration process.

If you buy the car before the move you can title, register, and insure it in CO. After a few months if the move to NY looks like it will end in a few months then just keep the car registered in CO. If you plan to buy the car in NY sometime after the move is made, then you will find it easiest to title and register it in NY. To buy and register the car in NY you will have to get a NY driver’s license first, then register the car.

The biggest issue is paying taxes and fees. If you buy the car in CO you will pay sales tax to CO. When you move to NY you need to know if they charge a fee based on the car’s value? If they do then in effect you are paying sales tax twice which is a chunk of money. Many states have “value” fees associated with titling and registering a car in their state, NC and SC and many other southeastern states have these fees. I’m not sure about NY.

I know kids have a problem talking on the phone and prefer websites but sometimes just give them a call.

OTOH, you need to meet the residency requirements in NY before you have to change your license. If you can avoid becoming a resident but staying a CO resident, that might be in your best interest. A couple trips back to CO might do it and lessen future confusion and the high taxes and regulations in NY. Might want to also not confuse it by buying a car in NY. If you have to buy one, buy one in CO and do everything you can to stay a CO resident instead. Check whether it is 90 days, 6 months etc. continuous stay to require a change in residency and avoid it for the future good.

Don’t confuse intelligent with knowledgeable. There are countless intelligent people that are not knowledgeable of the motor vehicle regulations in the states to which you are alluding. Indeed, it would be a rare individual that were knowledgeable of the regs in both states. But there are countless otherwise intelligent people who would, in trying to help, unintentionally incorrect answers.

The people at the respective regulatory agencies may or may not be intelligent… but they are knowledgeable. What you need here is not an intelligent person, but rather a knowledgeable person. So you might have to wait a bit on the phone. That’s the void that daytime TV is designed to fill… At least you’ll get the right answer.

Or just check the official website I provided a link to…

I understand but the problem is defining when one becomes a resident of NYS and thus has only 30 days to get a NY license and is required to pay NY taxes etc. Looks like 90 days is when the princess turns into a pumpkin, and I’d do everything possible to avoid 90 continuous days and change locations.

"Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law: “As used in this section, the term ‘resident’ shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state.”

To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered “presumptive evidence” that you are a resident of New York State. A police officer can use this as evidence to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in New York State without a NYS driver license or vehicle registration.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of New York State. If you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a “fixed and permanent” residence. According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in New York State are usually not considered residents of NYS. DMV does not decide if you are a resident of New York State, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in New York State."

To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of New York State. A police officer can use this as evidence to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in New York State without a NYS driver license or vehicle registration.

That’s in the absence of contrary evidence, NOT “carved into stone and gilded with gold paint.”

After all, NY has its share of “snowbirds,” who–while they spend 6 months (less a day) in NY–are nonetheless “residents” of Boca Raton, FL, or whatever. Do what THEY do!

Reading the DMV regs does not give you a picture of how the process works, but when someone from that state relates the process to you . you can go to the regs and confirm what they said to be true or not.

It depends on the circumstances of the job. If it is a long term and temporary assignment, you still I’ve in CO. If this is a trial period at a new permanent job, then your residence becomes NY.