Car for Teenager

Hi,
We are looking at cars for a teenage girl. This will be her first car, we are not worried about insurance costs, but are curious about the cost of monthly maintenance on the cars following. Also, your opinions on a teenage girl having one of these as her first car. (She is a very responsible kid, we are not worried about her being reckless, just upkeep cost, safety, and reasonability. In total the car will be driven less than 30 miles a day, and will never go on highways (unless we get the Tesla). I know the Tesla is obviously the safest, but what about the other ones?

-Tesla Model S
-Jaguar MK2 1963
-Austin Healey (maybe bugeye, but that seems like the most dangerous.)

Thank you!

First the OP Laniel posted about classic cars with airbags for a teenager. Then posted about Land Rover for teenager. I suspected something after the second post and I now believe the OP is the teenager in question.

The Jag and Healy are weekend “hobby” cars. If you want one buy it but also be sure you have mechanic who knows the car for service. Such cars are expensive to fix, break often, and sit at the shop for long periods waiting for parts.

I guess that leaves the Telsa S. I’d recommend a Civic or Corolla.

“I suspected something after the second post and I now believe the OP is the teenager in question.”

I strongly suspect that you are correct.

All of the potential purchases have been absolutely…all over the place…with the inclusion of so many old cars that are obviously labor intensive as well as devoid of any modern safety features, that I really have to wonder about the seriousness of these questions.

Then, a Tesla–which is about as maintenance-free as you can get–is thrown into the mix with the incredibly high-maintenance vehicles.

I really have a hard time taking these ongoing queries seriously.

It looks like you have at least $60,000 to spend. The least expensive Tesla S I saw on line is advertised for $63,000. The Jaguar is likely to cost more, and the AH Sprite should be about $25,000. All this assumes they are in excellent condition. I would avoid the Brit sports cars. They are both Typical (typical British sports cars), and will require a great deal of maintenance. Actually, cars of that age reqire a lot more maintenance and repairs than modern cars. But these were extremely unreliable when new, and things like that don’t get much better. A new MX-5 Miata by Mazda will run rings around the two sports cars you mention, and will be much more reliable. It will also be less expensive to purchase and much, much safer.

I agree with @UncleTurbo and @VDCDriver. None of the choices make any sense. Get a Corolla or a Civic or Mazda3, its the sportiest of the three.

Teenagers without cars have no clue whatsoever what it takes to keep a car running reliably. My neighbor has two daughters in University. Both drive Civics.

Guys, look at Volvo’s comment

The OP actually agreed with it . . . !

Perhaps if we just let this thread die a graceful death

However, it’ll probably be prolonged and miserable

With all due respect, I think OP is REALLY jerking our chain. They ask a question, don’t like the responses. Then they ask a very similar question in a new thread

Keep asking until you get the answer you want . . . ?!

The OP (me) is a teenager. All of my questions are legitimate. I really am shopping for my first car and have very little knowledge of cars. (I would like to point out that I never said my age!) Thanks for your help!

@Laniel. Get a Mazda3 Sport in red, and you’ll be very popular in addition to having a very “with it” car. Less worry and more time for your studies.

Please tell us at this stage if YOU or your parents actually are planning to buy a car of any sort.

At least at this stage you are getting a very valuable education from experts on how the car world works and WHAT NOT TO BUY!

I don’t see a teenager car listed by the OP. Get a Corolla or a Mazda 3.

Beware of asking for something too exotic. If you are in high school, you can expec that the car will be damaged by your classmates in the parking lot. Our car had a big dent that looked like it was hit by a tack hammer. A friend of one daughter was given a late model BMW 335 convertible to drive. It was keyed during the first week she drove it to school. Mom took the car back and got her something less controversial. Given that you are highly likely to have an accident (yes, you are) and the indifferent attitude teens have about other people’s property, getting a less expensive car is probably a better deal for you. ALos, think about the ability of your parents to buy and maintain the car if they are buying it. If your parents are rich and your classmate’s families are too, then more exotic cars might be the norm. If so, let us know and we can adjust how we respond. Have you spoken to your parents about a car yet? Do you have a budget (from them)?

@Laniel I think it is a good thing you are interested in cars. You have a good sense of “style” and some of your choices are beautiful but not practical for anyone, let alone a 1st time teen driver.

I happen to own a fun car that actually might work. It is a 2004 Ford Thunderbird, which means a 2 seat convertible. It has airbags and good safety features, is stylish, and reasonable to maintain and repair. They were made from 2002 to 2005 and can be found for sale if you look for them.

Another car that might work for you is a Mazda Miata. Stick to cars 2000 and newer. Talk to your parents about budgets, and what they are going to pay for an what they expect you to pay for. My parents provided my 1st car in 1965. It was a hand-me-down 1961 baby blue Mercury Convertible. I paid for gas and insurance. I did most of the repairs and oil changes myself so there weren’t a lot of those expenses. My next car they also bought for me, a new 1967 Mustang a basic hardtop model with a V8, 3 speed stick shift, and wide-oval tires. No power steering, no power brakes, but it looked good and ran sweet. I built up some arm muscles parallel parking the thing.

I would like to have that old Mercury back now, and the Mustang too. Perhaps the T’bird is a suitable replacement. Your 1st car should be “special” to you, not because it is especially fancy or unique - just because it is yours. Happy hunting and dreaming, I think its good that a young girl is a car lover and dreamer - better than being glued to a computer game all day.

Just as I predicted . . . a slow and miserable death

I’m really liking Volvo’s idea . . . in another thread . . . about the ignore button

Considering a Teslar and a 1963 Jaguar and having the wherewithal to consider either puts this discussion in another realm. If these are your first cars to consider, suggesting a Corolla might be laughed at…So, .how about a Humvee ? :wink:

The Jag MK2 is gorgeous:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/jaguar/mk_2

I would have killed to have been driving one as a teenager, instead of the Plymouth Valiant I was stuck with.

It’s just a matter of how much MONEY you or your parents have access to and are willing to spend on a car and its maintenance…These “Teenage Girl” threads usually go 100 posts or more…

If a Tesla S can be on the bucket list then why not go whole hog and get a 21 Window VW Bus.

More friends can be crammed into one of those and any worries over speeding will be a non-issue…
:wink:

A Teslar S is a total dream car for a teen. As reliable as it is, if it needs anything more then winshield washer fluid, a new wiper, tire change or pressure check, what local mechanic is going to work on it ?

Typical discussions…

Hi @Laniel:
Can you share your available budget?

Specifically, how much money do you have for the purchase, and how much money do you have for annual maintenance?

Knowing those answers is key to being able to offer meaningful to your questions.

May I Offer Some Fatherly Advice?

I have been a parent of 2 teenagers until just recently when my youngest, a girl college student turned 20 years old in January. I felt had a duty to make sure my children made it through the teenage years intact. Young drivers are more inexperienced at driving and according to insurance companies are a bit more of a risk. My kids were very responsible and good drivers. However, I wanted to protect them, the best I could, from the results of mistakes and from other irresponsible drivers until they gradually became more experienced at driving. I furnished safe vehicles.

I am not suggesting a particular make/model of car, but when you narrow your decision, consider using sites like NHTSA, IIHS, and http://www.informedforlife.org/ to be sure you are protecting your well being to a reasonable degree and not buying a car that puts you (and friends) more at risk.

Not all vehicles are equal when it comes to safety. Also, almost all experts agree that a larger vehicle is generally a safer vehicle. Check that out for yourself.

CSA