Why didn't they fix it?

What’s my recourse if the repair shop knew of rusted fuel/brake lines but never mentioned it? They were told to do all neccesary repairs and never even mention this problem, much less worked on it. I know this because after all the repair work was done I asked for their paperwork and notes and sure enough there it was, noted as a problem. The agreement to do repairs was all verbal over the phone though. There was nothing in writing that said I had declined to have any certain repairs performed. Can they be held responsible for anything?

Told to do all necessary repairs in relation to what? Exactly what did they repair?

Often direect replacement lines are not available and without them repair is difficult. Is there a leak at a fuel or brake line?

I live in Minnesota. So putting a vehicle on a lift and seeing rusted brake/fuel lines is not uncommon. It depends on the extent of the rust.

When this is seen, a needle nose pliers is used to slightly squeeze along the lines to determine how weakened they’ve become because of the rust.

Just because brake/fuel lines show rust doesn’t mean that they require replacement.

Tester

It looks like a simple mis-communication. The tech noted the problem he observed on the form, but whoever talked to you on the phone didn’t see the note among all the other stuff written on the form. Or simply misinterpreted what it said, or its importance. Ask the shop for future work they do, to be permitted to speak to the tech who actually did the work maybe, rather or in addition to somebody else, like the service writer or shop manager. Smaller inde shops would probably be more accommodating to this request than bigger, dealership shops.

I had a similar problem with a late 70’s VW Rabbit I owned, work done at a dealership, where the service writer and the tech doing the work were not communicating with each other about the fuel pump relay status. The tech replaced it with a new one, but the service writer claimed it was the original. Which was impossible, because I knew the original fuel pump relay had already failed, that was why the car was in the shop in the first place. But the service writer continued to insist the relay was not replaced, rather than simply taking 5 minutes, walking back to the shop area, and asking the tech. Go figure.

You asked them to do all necessary repairs but you have not explained what

Quote; I know this because after all the repair work was done I asked for their paperwork and notes and sure enough there it was, noted as a problem.

Was the note …your asking that all necessary repairs be done…or that the tech noted a problem.
Was it that the lines have rust…most do, and don’t need repair.

Do you have a leak now??? Where??? Brakes or Fuel???

Yosemite

It’d also be nice to know the age, mileage, make & model of the vehicle, the overall condition of the vehicle, as well as well as exactly what the vehicle was in the shop for, the details of what was requested and what was done, and how leaving the line(s) unaddressed manifested itself.

Was there a brake failure? A fuel leak?
Was there an accident, for which an accident investigator identified the problem as a contributor?
Is there a lawsuit involved?
Or are you just upset at having noticed corrosion on the line(s)?

"There was nothing in writing that said I had declined to have any certain repairs performed. Can they be held responsible for anything?
"
Does this mean you verbally told them not to replace the line(s)?

The agreement to do repairs was all verbal over the phone though. There was nothing in writing that said I had declined to have any certain repairs performed. Can they be held responsible for anything?
Appearently there was also nothing in writing authorizing specific things either. You are responsible if you did not specify the repairs to be made. So what really happened? Did they tell you what needed repair and didn't mention the lines? Did they mention them and you just said fix what ever you think is needed? Did they not think the lines needed to be replaced but you did because they are rusted? Did they break just after leaving the shop? Too many if's to make any call.

No, they can’t be held responsible for a repair they did not do and which they did not charge you for, any more than my eye doctor can be held responsible for not pulling my wisdom tooth.

As has been noted above, much of it depends on what the car was in for. Let’s say the car was in for a leaky radiator replacement. The mechanic did the work, fixing whatever needed to be done in relation to the radiator/cooling system repair, and while the car was up on the hoist noticed some rusty brake lines. Since that is not related to the radiator repair, he noted it, finished the radiator, and moved on to the next project.

Maybe the shop was too busy to do further work on your car that day, maybe they don’t do that kind of repair, maybe the parts are special order and 5 days away, maybe the mechanic was waiting for the office to call you and sell the work.

Did you buy a car and having remorse?

What is your recourse? Are you looking to beat them out of some money to get free work? Your recourse is to talk to them about the notes about the brake/fuel lines, get an estimate and then agree to have them do the work, and pay them for their work. If you do not like the shop, look under the Mechaincs files link located above in the header and see what other shops are in your area and talk to them.

Exactly why are you seeking recourse anyway?
You don’t have a leg to stand on, but I’m curious. My gut tells me there’s a lot to the story that you’re not telling us.

Nearly every car on the road more than a few years old will have at least light rust on the brake lines. A light coating of rust doesn’t warrant repair or replacement. They probably made the notation just to keep an eye on it in the future. They are to be commended.

Bear in mind a complete brake line replacement requiring fabrication can easily run around $1000.

I had two rear lines replaced on my Honda Civic last winter because one had sprung a leak. It came to $360. This car has spent 15 winters in Wisconsin and Minnesota. The front lines had only slight rust. In some markets $1000 might not be out of line for total replacement,

THIS post is actually humerous when read side-by-side with the posts that complain about the multiple related repairs that made their bill so high and they weren’t consulted first ( when the whole back story is that they told them to fix everything it needed ! )

I’m certain there is a long list of other things that this vehicle could use while it’s in the shop.
Unless you’re after it being showroom new at all expense, the shop will just do what you said…
which , by the way, you have NOT told us yet.

Is the OP going to return in order to disclose all of the relevant info that was not previously revealed to us?

Probably not…

Nope. There’s a whole lot the OP has no intention of telling us.