What was the pseudo-logic behind parking on wood (not cement) for winter storage of car?

What was the pseudo-logic behind parking on wood (not cement) for winter storage of car ?

The theory behind it was that concrete would cause the battery to drain faster and the wood acts as an insulator. Apparently rubber tires don’t count as insulation… Total BS old wives tale of course.

Walk into a store with batteries for sale and what do you see? Batteries sitting on steel racks mounted on concrete floors. No problem there either.

I’ve never heard that theory. I assume you mean this is indoors car parking, what’s better, wood vs cement for the garage floor, car-wise. hmmm … One idea, cement can wick up moisture from the soil below the cement, which might increase corrosion if there’s any dampness in the subsoil. Sor the garage might be a little damp w/a cement floor.

Comparing cement to wood, it seems like it would depend on what the wood was resting on. If the wood was directly on the soil, you’d think you’d get quite a bit of water wicking through the wood too. But if the wood was resting on cement, the wood would absorb some of the water wicking through the cement, possibly making the garage environment a little dryer. Lower humidity.

Automotive lead-acid batteries were originally made as a lead anode and a lead dioxide cathode immersed in sulphuric acid placed in a jar, and packaged with two others (early systems were 6V) in wood cases. The moisture that wicked up from the concrete (which wicked its moisture up from the earth below it) could freeze and crack the jars.

Modern battery design is very safe, packaged in durable rubberized cases, and totally immune from damage from sitting on concrete. But the fear once it becomes a part of folklore can live on eternally.

I think the OP is asking about what surface is best to park the car, not where to place a battery that has been removed from the car.

You’re right. I think the thread went sideways.

Sorta moot, unless you own a barn. Don’t see a lot of wooden-floored garages these days!

I’d never heard of that one. Never seen a lot of stored cars either for that matter.

I don’t think the thread went sideways. I think the myth went sideways.
Besides glass, early battery cases were also made of wood, with a coating to make them less porous.
It was believed concrete could form a conductive path to slowly drain the battery.
Once on the street I had taken the battery out to bring it inside and charge overnight.
It was sitting on the concrete sidewalk.
Some guy came by and said I was going to ruin my battery by sitting it there for just a few minutes.
This is how myths mutate.