Oil filter 101

has anyone had a bad experience with a Purolator pure-one oil filter from advance auto parts. they claim it the top of the line.

Nope no bad experiences. Search ‘oil filter’ in this forum and you will see a lot of discussions on oil filters. This has been hashed about quite a bit.

No experience with that particular brand, but what I understand from what others say, one important parameter of oil filter quality is the material the anti-drain plug is made of. I believe the preferred choice is silicone rubber. Do you know what Purolator uses?

Let Me Venture A Guess. You’re Stage Name Is “Dripper” And You
’re Asking If Anyone Has A Bad Experience With A Particular Oil Filter. Am I Out Of Line To Suspect That You Have Experienced One ?

Let’s start this thing. Were you certain to make sure that the old filter’s seal came off with the filter and didn’t adhere to the flange/engine block ?

CSA

I have used Purolator and have suffered no failures with this brand. Are you sure it was installed correctly?

Some Cars/Trucks And Some Engines Have Idiosyncrasies Or Peculiarities, Not Usually Involving Filters, But How About Introducing Your Vehicle?
Make?
Model?
Model-Year?
Engine?

CSA

There are many posts claiming failures of Pure One filters at Bobistheoilguy.
Photos of media tears.

I’ve used the basic Purolator filters for some time on a number of vehicles and have had no issues. The only time I used a Pure One was when they were out of the basic filters and I really needed to do that oil change. No issues then but that is a data point of one so it is not valid.

Pure One filter seems to be well built according to this guy who disscted many different filters and posted his results:

I see that there are reports on the 'net of some Purolator filters having torn media. The only way that would be found is by cutting open a filter. But having a little unfiltered oil circulating in your engine is not going to kill it. I doubt anyone has had an engine failure because of a tear in the filter media.

I just use the OEM filters and don’t worry about the claims of other manufacturers. Would you ever expect a manufacturer to say that their filter is a piece of junk? Of course not.

I use the budget filters from Walmart. Before Walmart, I just used Fram or something of similar price. Never had a problem, and never wore an engine out.

Walmart’s budget filter is now Purolator. I have used it on my Camry for the last 80+K miles without any issues.

If you own a car that uses the cartridge style, than you actually get to see the filter element. They are usually pretty ugly when they come out. A typical metal canister style might be dirty on the outside but you have no clue if it is good /bad.