04 Subaru Forester auto-transmission all wheel drive lockout on dry pavement

Am I doing any damage to my 04 Forrester drive train with auto-transmission when I put the AWD fuse into the slot in the fuse box to activate the solenoid which disconnects the rear drive wheels from the drive train, resulting in the Forester becoming a front wheel (FWD) car. Under icy winter conditions, gravel roads & wet roads I remove the fuse so I have all wheel drive. Maybe wearing out the solenoid?? I have noticed newer model Foresters do not have the AWD fuse slot. Comment or advice please.

Why are you doing this? And what do you think you are achieving?

This AWD system pushes traction where it is needed most based on slipping tires. If you defeat this by removing a fuse, it likely goes into a default torque split between front and rear, not going to FWD only mode.

Stop what you are doing, put the fuse where it belongs and let the car determine what is best.

"This AWD system pushes traction where it is needed most based on slipping tires. If you defeat this by removing a fuse, it likely goes into a default torque split between front and rear, not going to FWD only mode. Stop what you are doing, put the fuse where it belongs and let the car determine what is best. "

Overall, I agree with what was stated above by Mustangman, but I want to clarify that putting a fuse into the specialized fuse block on the right side shock tower does put the vehicle into FWD mode. With Subaru’s less sophisticated AWD systems, this was done in order to allow drivers to go further with a “donut” spare tire in place.

The newer Subaru AWD systems don’t have this feature because they are are less prone to damage from extended driving with a donut spare tire.

Thanks @VDCdriver. My online search didn’t uncover that tidbit. Pretty clever of Suburu.

I always defeat the AWD feature by not buying AWD in the first place…If road conditions are THAT bad, I stay home…

Why would you buy an AWD car and not use it? Would you buy a cup of coffee and intentionally not drink it?