2002 Nissan Sentra - Is there a way to get the catalytic converter to run clean to pass smog cert?

I live in CA and recently my car passed the smog test, but failed inspection because the check engine light on the board was on. When the diagnostic test was done, it said there’s a problem with the catalytic converter. It’s so frustrating because the car’s emissions are within limits. The part of alone costs $800 and must be bought new because there is no after-market equivalent. So, I was thinking… Is there a way to get the catalytic converter to run cleaner without replacing it? If it can run long enough to pass the diagnostic test, my car could pass inspection.

Help!

Peter

Here’s somerthing to try.

I’ve never used it, so I can’t say how effective it is.

Tester

I just thank my lucky stars that I don’t live in a state with smog inspections.

When the diagnostic test was done, it said there's a problem with the catalytic converter.

What diagnostics? Did someone read the codes? Did it have a code P0420 (catalyst below efficiency threshold)? If so it doesn’t always mean you need a converter. Google DTC P0420 there are different causes for this. As an example on my 2002 and 1999 Camry it was a bad down stream O2 sensor. Bottom line is, you need someone that can actually diagnose the problem not just read the codes.