Burning clutch in an automatic

Hy everyone! I’ve got a 2000 Subaru outback with 170k miles on it. I recently pulled a code for a bad line pressure solenoid and replaced it. About 500 miles later the oil temp sensor light started flashing so I turned the car off and when I turned the car back on it wasn’t flashing and hasn’t come on since. No CEL. I’m now about 2k miles after changing the line pressure solenoid and now whenever I drive over 10 or so miles my car smells like the clutch is burning. He idle is a little rough, i.e. it vibrates a little more than usual and the car is a little slow to respond when I gas it. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

At 170K miles your clutch could be telling you it is on it’s last legs. Have you tested it for slippage? Put it in 5th gear, give it some gas and let out the clutch. The motor should stall and stop completely. If it keeps running your clutch is slipping and the smell is due to the heat from friction due to the slipping.

Since the OP mention “clutch” I’m assuming this is a manual transmission car. If in fact it has an automatic transmission - disregard my reply.

“line pressure solenoid” says automatic to me. Sounds like more problems with it, a Subaru forum might help.

Sounds like the transmission is on the way out and clutch should be plural.

Title of thread is “Burning clutch in an automatic”

About 500 miles later the oil temp sensor light started flashing so I turned the car off and when I turned the car back on it wasn't flashing and hasn't come on since.

I assume you checked the oil level when it happened?

EDIT: I misread it as the “oil pressure sensor light”.

“line pressure solenoid” = automatic trans
"oil temp sensor light" = automatic trans

If the oil temp light is flashing, this more than likely indicates an electronic fault in the transmission, and this could definitely lead to problems with the clutches. I would suggest a visit to a local independent transmission shop a.s.a.p., before the problem becomes more expensive.

as db4690 says, the title of the thread is " Burning clutch in an automatic" If the clutches were burning, I doubt if you could smell them.

One more thing, (Columbo), check the exhaust pipes for transmission fluid leaking onto them (it). That could be causing the smell.

A brake caliper could be stuck, causing the transmission to work harder. Front end alignment may have suddenly gone bad due to a big pothole or tie rod end wear.

A car is just a lot of systems tied in together. One of those systems may cause trouble for another one of them. It could be just a transmission problem but things should be checked in addition to the one.

"line pressure solenoid" = automatic trans "oil temp sensor light" = automatic trans

If the oil temp light is flashing, this more than likely indicates an electronic fault in the transmission, and this could definitely lead to problems with the clutches. I would suggest a visit to a local independent transmission shop a.s.a.p., before the problem becomes more expensive.

This is definitely sounds advice, I was hoping it was something I could check, but looks like I’m going to have to bite the bullet.

as db4690 says, the title of the thread is " Burning clutch in an automatic" If the clutches were burning, I doubt if you could smell them.

I definitely can smell that distinct clutch smell. There is a very slight leak from the tranny pan, but the level is spot on still and the vibration/slipping just from my observations has been getting worse. I think I’ll have to take it in.

If it’s a ‘clutch smell’, then it’s more likely coming from the brakes, the clutches in an automatic transmission are sealed inside, can’t smell them unless you have a REAL problem (fried transmission). So get it to a good shop ASAP.

edit - you might be smelling part of the AWD system failing. Again, find a good shop, one that knows Subarus.

Maybe a brake is dragging.

One more thing, (Columbo), check the exhaust pipes for transmission fluid leaking onto them (it). That could be causing the smell.

A brake caliper could be stuck, causing the transmission to work harder. Front end alignment may have suddenly gone bad due to a big pothole or tie rod end wear.

A car is just a lot of systems tied in together. One of those systems may cause trouble for another one of them. It could be just a transmission problem but things should be checked in addition to the one.

I’ll definitely check out the calipers and come to mention it, the car is pulling to the right some. I would think that if he caliper was stuck I’d smell burning break too, but I don’t.

Thanks for the insight.

What you smell probably is the BRAKES.

The next time you smell that smell, carefully check if any wheel is noticeably hotter than the wheel on the other side. If so, then you’re having a problem with the brake on that wheel.

Since you don’t have a clutch, other than the clutches in the transmission, forget about the clutch theory. Check the brakes.

Well, I would like to hear the conclusion of this matter.

Like many posts on here, we may never hear another word about it unfortunately.

As to smell, it’s possible to smell burning transmission fluid.

You can definitely smell it when a clutch assy in an automatic is slipping and burning. It overheats the fluid and has a very recognizable smell (To a tech that is).
It sounds like the damage was already done and the PCS replacement was a little too late.

transman