Which car should I buy

need a new car. I would like the quietest car with the smoothest ride I can get. I also want all the bells and whistles, but still want to spend under $50,000. Used is OK. Any suggestions?

The ones that meet the criteria you list are too numerous to list so I won’t even try.

Quiet and smooth can also be a subjective opinion. Just start test driving until one rings a bell.

Lexus ES350

“Quiet and smooth can also be a subjective opinion”.
This is correct Different people have different opinions on what is smooth and quiet. I remember and old Jack Benny radio show. One of the standing jokes was Jack Benny’s car–a Maxwell. On one show, Jack was given a ride by a stranger. “Gee, this is a smooth riding car”, Jack remarked. “What kind is it?” “Essex”, the owner replied.
My bottom of the line 1965 Rambler Classic 550 seemed like a luxury car if I got in it after riding around in my 1950 Chevrolet 1 ton pickup truck. The Rambler also had an AM radio while my pickup truck had no radio. You might want to find the April 2012 issue of Consumer Reports (its annual auto issue) or CR’s car buying guide available in most book stores and go from there.

describe bells and whistles. Satnav? heated leather seats? moon roof? Fully integrated radio for your ipod and phone? Adaptive cruise? Adaptive high beams? AWD?

Ride comfort and quietness can be very subjective and personal. One might be fine with the ride of a Civic and say it’s quiet, even if they have to crank the stereo up or yell at their passengers for them to hear if they go over a rough road.
Tires play a part in road noise as well, but I learned that even quiet tires on a loud car mean diddly squat. I had an older Civic and put on tires that were rated pretty good for road noise, but going over the chip’n’seal type pavement was still very noisy. When I bought my current ride, with noisy factory tires, the noise level was much more quiet than the Civic.

Take a look at the 2013 Cadillac XTS in base or Luxury Collection configuration.

Quietest? That would probably be an electric car. Test them all to find the smoothest.

One last comment: Don’t let the dealer know your budget. Take your time. You may even want to rent a couple of your candidates for the week-end and take a 100 mile trip. When you have narrowed down your choices, then go online for prices.

A Loaded Toyota Avalon should be less than that and provide all the silence/boredom you are looking for.

@texases ; I agree; the most quiet and quality for the money as well as a smooth ride is likely a Lexus ES350. But the Lexus is not a large family sedan. Years ago Ford had the quiest ride in the family car segement. The new Taurus is quiet, but it is a clumsy car, and I could not recommend it.

Consumer Reports just tested 4 large Sedans, the Buick Lacrosse, Chrysler 300, Hyundai Azera, and Ford Taurus. Their overall rating, combined with others tested in the past, gave top rating to the Hyundai Genesis, it has the best value for money, is lavishly equipped and sells for only $40,000. The Lexus will be a longer lasting car (up to 20 years), but Hyundai has made great strides in the last 10 years.

The quiest car in the 4 tested was the Chrysler 300, but based on past performace, I would not recommend it. The Buick Lacrosse has the best and smoothest ride; my brother-in-law just bought one; it is very quiet and comfortable. If you want to buy American, this is your best choice. Buicks are well made and have proven themselves reliable. And it only costs $35.000 fully loaded.

I think the point some of us are making is that as you go up the price scale, quiet ride and comfort peak at about $40,000; spending more money won’t get you anything much better. At the top end is the Lexus 400, but it will set you back the price of nearly 2 Buicks, at $70,000 and up.

@Docnick - true, although I understand the new ES350 is based on the Avalon, rather than the Camry. But the OP didn’t specify ‘large’, did they?

The biggest reason my wife bought her ES350 was because it was so quit and ran so smooth. After 100k miles it’s still that way.