Join the Car Talk Community!

Discussion Rules

Welcome to the Car Talk Community!

Want to ask a question or join the discussion? Great! Join now.

Sign In Register

HELP - car won't shift into any gear at all / no symptoms prior / one car family.

I say HELP because my daughter was born last night. We picked up my 18 month old son from our friend's house and were getting ready to leave when it happened....so I need to figure out ASAP what's going on. We have only one car and I live a half hour's drive from work.

2002 Ford Taurus, 103,000 miles. No issues since I've had it (bought it with 84,000 miles on it), had it serviced three times since then. No indication that anything was wrong when changing from park to drive to reverse etc....the lever is in the steering column. I was leaving my friend's house as I previously indicated when I pulled the lever down from Park to Reverse except it bypassed reverse entirely. There was no resistance at all. I could slide it through all the gears easily but it wasn't "locking" in to any gear in particular. The car was started and running while I was doing this and I had my foot on the brake while attempting to shift into different gears. There was no sign that this was going to happen. I'd only left the hospital about 40 mins previously and changed from Park to Reverse to Drive with no issues. Checked the transmission fluid about 4 weeks ago and it was fine.

So....HELP! We very luckily have the help of some wonderful friends who loaned us their 2nd car for a few days. I have a guy checking it either tomorrow or Friday. It's not under warranty. I really hope this is something reasonable to fix. My buddy thinks it might have something to do with "linkages." The transmission itself isn't making any weird noises and hasn't either.

THANKS.
Tagged:

Comments

This discussion has been closed.