What the heck is a "Banjo Bolt"?

One of the callers replace the head gasket in his car, and ended up with a bolt left over. Ray said he thought it was a Banjo Bolt for the EGR tube. What the heck is a Banjo Bolt?

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-019&Category_Code=FTG

The hole is for fluid passage. The washers are sealing gasket washers.

Oh, I see. It has a hole in it. But wouldn’t it have been obvious then that the bolt the fellow was holding in his hand while talking to the guys was indeed a banjo bolt? The head gasket guy never said anything about it being a special looking bolt with a hole in it. Just curious. Or is this something that he maybe wouldn’t have noticed?

I didn’t hear the segment, but yes. If the guy was on the phone holding the bolt they could have just asked him what it looked like.

So now I’m curious about why they call it a “banjo bolt”? Does it resemble a banjo in appearance? I don’t see it. Or do they use bolts w/holes in them in making banjos? I never played a banjo. I know on acoustic guitars the little knobs you use to tune the strings have shafts with holes in them. That’s for the string to go through. Maybe that’s it? The tuning gadgets on banjos resemble banjo bolts? Other than that, I don’t see the relation to the banjo I guess. Anybody know?

I’m sure 5 minutes with an internet search engine would answer your question (GFGI). I don’t care much or I’d look, but I like the banjo tuning peg theory.

I suspect its called that because of the tuning devices for banjo or guitar strings. They have a hole in them for the string and the thumscrew to tighten or loosen the string (wire).

The banjo bolts that I am familiar with went through a hollow round fitting with a hollow tube coming in through the side on the end of a flexible brake hose where it attaches to the brake caliper. This was called a banjo fitting because it looked like one and it was held on by a banjo bolt with a passageway to let the brake fluid through. Sorry I am not computer adept enough to post a link to show you.

Thanks for your commentss cig, bing, & OT11. I’ve come across banjo bolts now and then in fixing up my cars and stuff. As I recall, I’ve seen them used in brake lines, and also in fuel lines (when the car used fuel injection and higher pressures are involved). I’m thinking now the banjo bolt is called that because the fitting the banjo bolt goes into looks like a banjo, rather than that the bolt is similar to a tuning peg used on a banjo.