Texting

Do not text

Do not tell me what to do or what not to do

I text all the time, but will not do it while I am driving since I don’t want to kill myself or anybody else, and I do not post to this forum from a mobile device or use text-speak on this forum. The latter is in the interest of maintaining the sanity of everyone here due to the frustration that can create when people post in that manner. Incidentally, the original post almost looks like it was posted from a mobile device due to the brevity of the post itself and the lack of punctuation.

On Thanksgiving Day 2010 I was driving home from my brother’s and was unfortunate enough to see an accident that was caused by a texting driver. I don’t know what happened to the other vehicle, although other witnesses said they were shaken up, but not hurt. I dealt with the guy who had been texting. His left front tire was completely ripped off his car and probably wound up in the middle of a corn field. He, too, was not severely injured, but he was extremely dazed.

So he got his car totaled (I assume), the other people got the front end of their van smashed and a whole bunch of innocent bystanders got delayed 45 minutes (when it was 6 degrees F with 20 mph winds) just so some idiot could “LOL” at someone.

DO NOT TEXT WHILE DRIVING.

Tickets do not seem to affect the behavior of “distracted drivers”. Since September 1 last year to December 31, the city handed out 1456 tickets at $172 each!. The breakdown was as follows:

1. 1306 for using a handheld cellphone

2. 65 “prohibited acts”, such as eating, playing an instrument., etc.

3. 31 for using an electronic instrument such as iPod

4. 22 for reading

5. 13 for programming a GPS

6. 11 for “Grooming”

7. 5 for using a dash display screen

8. 2 for writing

9. one for “unspecified” activity (one can only guess!)

It would seem that using the I-drive on a BMW will get you a ticket as well.

Do not speed

Do not drive recklessly

Do not tailgate

Do not cut people off

VDCdriver - You’re no fun.

Do not do the above-mentioned “unspecified activity”

Don’t eat yellow snow.

Ummmmmmmm…“unspecified activity”…
brings back sweet memories of my wasted youth…

I’ve been rear ended twice in the last couple years so I decided to let my feelings be known. This is my message to drivers that text. It sure did get a lot of attention.

The article has a better view of the mural

Watch this, Says it all really (sorry for the massive preview size)

What cigroller and the other folk who ‘don’t want to be told what to do’ is simply, there are repercussions for ‘doing what one wants to do when one wants to do it.’ So sad because your statement sounds uttered by a young person who feels they are invincible.
Cigroller, will you be saying the same thing when you cause an accident, are permanently injured, permanently injure someone else or worse, are killed or cause another persons’ death? If that indeed is the case, I really, really hope that we never encounter you on the road.

Had to do some inservices recently for staff in a healthcare org. came across a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Kzq2x-z7Y&list=PL09A4CC11DD5D54E3&index=12&feature=plpp_video

about multi-tasking vs sequential

while that one is serious - if you have time you have to watch this funny one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1e0skfJts&feature=BFa&list=PL09A4CC11DD5D54E3&lf=plpp_video
What Old people do for fun - just really funny

@Ragtop-I wonder if your wall might end up having unintended consequences…of distracting drivers? Good message though.

"What cigroller and the other folk who ‘don’t want to be told what to do’ is simply, there are repercussions for ‘doing what one wants to do when one wants to do it.’ So sad because your statement sounds uttered by a young person who feels they are invincible.
Cigroller, will you be saying the same thing when you cause an accident, are permanently injured, permanently injure someone else or worse, are killed or cause another persons’ death? If that indeed is the case, I really, really hope that we never encounter you on the road.

@Mara - do me a favor. Do not walk into this forum that I visit on a very regular - sometimes daily - basis and put your moral high hat on and give me a lecture.

If you were not some moralistic high hat passer by then you would know that I have a sense of humor. 4lock28 came in here one day completely out of the blue and created a discussion thread. It simply said “Do not text.” It provided no story. It provided no context. It didn’t even specify “do not text WHILE DRIVING” In response, I said “Do not tell me what to do or what not to do.” Are you really that dense?

So do the world a couple of favors. 1) I think KMart is running a blue light special on sense of humor this week. Go buy one. 2) Take your high horse someplace else - but don’t text while you’re riding it.