Replacing a heater core on a 93 Toyota Pickup?

I have a 93 Toyota Pickup that is blowing very little heat. I replaced the thermostat, but the best I can get is a warm spring breeze. I’ve checked to make sure there is no clog in the heater core (Water runs clean both directions). Temperature gauge shows engine temp at healthy level.
Could this be anything other than a bad heater core?
I have not replaced a heater core before. If it is the heater core, how difficult will it be?
If I decide to take it into a shop, what would be a fair price for them to replace it? A/C unit has been removed, so they don’t need to unhook and recharge it.

Does this truck have a heater valve?? I belive it does, basically its a valve on the heater core inlet line that controlls the amount of coolent flowing thrugh the core… I bet its stuck, and not opening all of the way.

PS have you felt the heater core inlet line when the truck is running is it hot or just warm??

It does have an inlet valve. Is there a method to open it up, or should I just get it replaced?

I will feel the inlet line tonight and let you know.

I dont recall if the inlet valve is vacuum activated or cable… If its cable just try to manually open it, if its vacuum pull the line and check for pressure.

Sometimes those valves LOOK like they are opening all the way and when you look thru them you find that they actually are not opened as you thought…yeah, start there… an IR thermometer would come in handy yet again…don’t know how many x I have mentioned this tool on here…but its A LOT I can tell you that. The IR thermometer costs bout 20 bucks and is well worth it…Harbor freight…and most auto parts places now have them…

Blackbird

Have your checked your coolant level at the radiator? Forget about checking it at the overflow bottle. Checking the temperature control valve is also a very good idea.

Sorry it’s taken me a week to get back. My computer crapped out, and I’ve finally got it back up and running. Coolant level in Radiator is good, and fluid is hot in both in-flow and out-flow.

If the coolant flow is hot both in and out then you have a blend door problem. The doors route the cooling/heat into the cabin. Looks like you will have to pull apart part of the lower dash to find the problem. The doors are operated either by vacuum or it’s electrical. You probably need to pick up a repair guide like Haynes for your vehicle. They are sold at most large auto parts stores or check out one at your local library.