1995 Ford Taurus Transmission Problems

I have a 1995 Ford Taurus when I press on the break to come to a complete stop the transmission slips from second gear to first gear. But when I press on the gas and go from 1st to 2nd gear its a hard shift but no slipping. I checked the transmission fluid it was low and dark so I replenished the fluid and put in this slip and seal stuff in the transmission. What else can I do and how long do you think I will be able to drive my car until it dies completely?

Some times if u overfill the trans. fluid it culd cause a hard shift or a slip…check the fluid level first…i had the same problem on my buick…some goofy guy from jiffy lube overfilled the trans fluid and it was having a hard shift from first to second gear…i wuld start at checking my fluid levels. And there is no guarentee on how long a slippin or stickin trans will last… if it is an internal problem u may have a major problem on hand…transmissions cost alot…and the cost labor to put it in is even more…hope my advice helps…

Not sure what you mean by “replenished the fluid.” When is the last time the fluid was drained and replaced. Replace the filter too.

Available engines

• 6 Cylinders 1 3.0L Flex Fuel
  • 6 Cylinders 4 3.8L EFI
  • 6 Cylinders P 3.2L EFI DOHC SHO
  • 6 Cylinders U 3.0L EFI
  • 6 Cylinders Y 3.0L EFI DOHC SHO

From what I can tell, most (if not all) of those have a filter in the tranny. If the fluid is “dark”, drop the pan, change the filter, and refill the fluid. Drain and fill again in 5000 miles (no need to do the filter again yet).

Every 30,000 the transmission should be serviced (minimum is a drain and fill).

So…I’m agreeing with goldwing. To be sure, you could tell us which motor you have.